Sinister: he had a new distraction

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Wed Aug 2 15:39:39 BST 2000

Hi all,
I'm posting surreptitiously, from a place I hoped to never visit again.  I'm
temping for a couple of weeks at a book and CD warehouse in a building where
I used to work nearly three years ago, in a job which was hellish.  I had my
reservations when the agency sent me here and it is weird, not only seeing a
familiar building with unfamiliar faces, but also as the only computer with
Internet access is this snazzy-looking i-mac in the reception area.  How
would I describe the colour scheme of this particular example of Steve Jobs'
offspring?  Purple doesn't quite make it.  Lilac, possibly.

I would urge anyone who hasn't listened to David's mp3 to do so, as
"loneliness...." is a top song.  It should be the next single, but will
prob'ly be the next single but three.  The Tigermilk re-release revisited.
And why not?  Good things come to.... and other cliches.

What's most depressing about this job is not the fact that I'm packing loads
of parcels ordered online, though it is true to say that I'm learning more
about the tensile strength of brown parcel tape than I ever thought
possible.  It's what people are ordering that is soul destroying.  Ronan
Keating and the Corrs galore.  A big disgrace to the Irish race.

BBC Radio 1 blasts out all over this building.  This is something of an
admission....packing boxes is tedious, ergo musical accompaniment is
required.  But Destiny's Child's "Jumping jumping" wends it way further and
further into my brain.  And it's terrifying.

Mark.