Sinister: Bleating about Keating

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Thu Aug 3 13:33:48 BST 2000

Hello,
I had a strange dream last night.  How many posts have started like that?
It didn't start off strange at all, quite mundane really, with me sitting
watching the news on TV and wondering "why do we hear nothing about the
Irish army?"  Then the next programme came on and it was something like
Equinox or Horizon, except that it was called Euroscience or some such.  Cue
pictures of a research station just outside Dublin and a white coated
balding individual is interviewed.  He tells us about a new program to
*gasp* .....clone soldiers.  He then shows us numerous identical troopers in
khaki, all encased in Bubble Wrap and ready to be despatched to their bases
and outposts.  The camera pans round and we see that every one has the face
of....Ronan Keating!  The techy guy then takes us down the corridor, turning
round and addressing the camera as he walks, explaining how the early
experiments went wrong.  He opens the door to a smallish room, more of a
broom cupboard really, in which are stored some of the early cloning
attempts.  All are hideous, all look like the other members of Boyzone.

Then I woke up, trembling.

The meaning of this dream is not difficult to discern.  No butlers, bakers
or fat & skinny cows here I feel.  The answer can be found in my current
workplace, where I have to pack literally HUNDREDS of Ronan CDs.  I look at
the box.  Ronan is frowning.  I flip the box over, ready to pack it.  Ronan
grins at me.  Ugh.  Maybe there's a fold-out inside the box with a plethora
of facial expressions.  Ronan grimaces as if having a tooth pulled.  Ronan
raises one eyebrow quizzically.  Ronan gawks at us, cross-eyed, thumbing his
nose in a puerile manner.

There are some FYHCYWLAP CDs on the shelf, but no-one's ordered any yet.
Boo hoo!  Maybe I should try to influence people's musical taste and do the
odd substitution or two.  The can't sack me- ha!  I'm a temp.

Consolation is at hand in the form of my Silly Customer Name List, growing
day by day.  I had a Peter Guess today.  Life must be hell for him.  Imagine
the scene: the said Pete is at school and is caught running down the
corridor.  "What's your name boy?" asks a master sternly.  "Guess, sir."

"Boy I am in no mood to play silly games!'

Calling Mrs Startup of Hounslow....why do you require *two* Ronan CDs?
That's just plain greedy.

I'd like to start a Terrible Assonances in Songs thread.  Radio 1 gave us an
example this morning.... "Remember the old days, remember the O'Jays'"
warbled Kylie in 'Step Back in Time'.  Groan.
Possibly the worst ever is "pneumonia" and "phone yer" in 'I'll Never fall
in love Again".  Double groan.

Maybe someone will order FYHCYWLAP this afternoon.  Watch me kiss the
invoice.  We can but hope....

Mark.