Sinister: I've missed you guys ....

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Sat Aug 5 04:47:17 BST 2000

First post in ages.

I've been sans computer for two weeks, which has actually been really hard.
The CD writer on mine was stuffed, and it took them AGES to fix it. Which
was a pain. Actually, I did have access to my e-mail off my ISP's site, but
a few days into my computerless existence they "lost" my e-mail. And of
course I didn't hav anybody's address. Except for sinistrs, but I could only
send the mail as HTML format. Whcih meant it always got bounced back.

So here I am .....

Somebody gave me a list crush vote a few weeks ago. I am flattered and
intrigued. Somebody likes me and I don't know who ....

Random thoughts on stuff people have said over the last two weeks.

Well, someone said something about Belle & Sebastian being "capitalists"
because they put non-album tracks out as singles, "forcing" us to buy them.
Ummm ... nobody is putting a gun to your head, listees. And personally,
seeing as I'd be buying the singles anyway (of my own free will) I'd rather
they had as many new songs as possible. So I think it's a good thing they
do. Value for money, post-punk ethic etc. And yes, I would have liked the
first three EPs compiled as a single CD. But if they had of done that I
would have bought the compilation album ... rather than just the slipcase.
So again, good, money saving thing. How dare you complain .... etc. etc.
etc.

Ordered the boxed set of "69 Love Songs" after a few people had been talking
about it. Am so excited .....

There is this aweful programe here on TV called 5:30 live, which is (guess
what) a live magazine show which is on at 5:30pm. They have this clueless
girl doing music reviews, more on account of her (admittedly) gorgeous body
than here latent talent. Anyway, last night she gave "Fold Your Hands .." a
great review, whilst missing the point entirely. (I wish I had a transcript
.... I think she said they were "quirky" at one point.) Anyway, they showed
about 30 seconds of "The Wrong Girl" video, which was exciting for me. And
then I had barbequed squid steaks for dinner, so it was a great night.

To answer my own question about where the "party" noises were in the new B&S
album, I discovered this in last weeks Melody Maker (the one with Mansun on
the cover). There was a wee article about Tony Doogan and the making of the
new album. Buggered if I can hear it though. For those of you who haven't
read it, I may try and transcribe it this week, bearing in mind I am THE
SLOWEST TYPIST IN THE WORLD. (Honey, ALL of my posts take more than fifteen
minutes to create - even the two line ones!)

Finally ....

***SELFISH TRADE QUESTION*** (sorry everyone else)
I am trying to locate CD/fm stereo quality copies of the Radio 1 evening
session. The one with:
Seymour Stein
Lazy Line Painter Jane
Sleep the clock around
Slow Grafitti
Does anyone have a *really* good copy of this session they could copy on CD
or tape for me? I can respond in kind with the two Radcliffe sessions
sounding super-duper, along with the Apocolypse Tube version of "Lonliness
of a middle distance runner" on a tape or CD. Please mail me if you can help
... and if you have the "Bus tour mini session" of "The Wrong Girl" that
would be even better.

Sorry folks ....

Anyway, hope all is well in Sinistrland. Glad to be back.

rock on (or something)

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme