Sinister: right. which one of you jokers clued me to the s ofa?

Lardot Janne RL janne.lardot at radiolinja.fi
Tue Aug 8 15:27:00 BST 2000

hello, i'm sheriff john bunnell.

i believe that cardigans are our future. not _the_ cardigans, but your usual,
woolly cardigans.

there. i've said it.

i'm feeling better now. massive thanga juu's to everyone who sent their
sympathy.

i've just spent a fair few hours to read 200 sinister posts. i had to go
outside for a bit after that. shame that i was on holiday when the pink
floyd/religion debate "raged" on.  not that i would have had anything
worthwhile to add, but...  does anyone remember, when back in the day everyone
talked about the sinister uniform? did anyone suggest jeans and cardigans? and
if not, then why not? and why do people stare people who wear cardigans in
august?

right. it's quoting time:

(eric quoth)
"oh my goodness, countries still do that? I knew germany does, and israel,
but... finland? (no offense) conscription is one of the worst violations of
individual rights, I'd glad the u.s. doesn't do it, unless there's a war...
and even then, I'm not too big on it. I'm sorry for you, I really am. what
is the "alternative" to forced killing, anyway?"

i couldn't have put that better myself. altough i would have probably said that
with more swearing.

i know everyone is bored to tears already about this whole concept, but... like
i said, finland lives under a constant "threat" of being invaded by russia.
sadly, sensible people and b&s-fans are a minority in finland, so the majority
think that having a mandatory military service is the only deterrent to russia
invading us tomorrow.

(roberth "soul boy" smith said)
"Never mind offers of sympathy janne, what you need is offers of marriage!
All you need is a loverly sinister girl to give you the chance for duel
nationality and all your problems will be solved.... or will they just be
beginning? If there are any volenteers to help get janne back in the country
I will be very grateful and I'm sure he will be as well......"

that would indeed be the easiest solution, but alas, no offers of marriage have
yet reached my inbox. rob, mate, do you have any sisters?

(jake (who is a Good Bloke, by the way) uttered)

"My fellow finn Janne told us that his attending our very own army in a month
or two. So, 6 months of playing hide and seek in the woods, talking dirty
with your fellow soldiermates and getting extremly drunk every weekend then,
eh? 'Cause that's what they do in the Finnish army these days. But I know"

too true. thankfully, i don't have to endure that, because like jake, i'll take
the sensible alternative of civil service. but why in the name of satan does
the civil service have to be so long?  6 months of playing with guns or 13
months of civil service? (/irony) it as if the finnish government doesn't want
young men to go to civil service instead of the army. no, no, perish the
thought! (end irony)

"nothing about that one, since I went to civil service. My advice to Janne,
who is suffering from "You're going to make us proud, son!"- syndrome,
coming from his parents: Tell then to f¤¤¤ off. Go to civil service, even if
they don't want you to. I got the job I'm doing now just because I spent a
year at the Open University surfing the net and flirting with the middleaged
women at the office. That was pretty much all I did when I went the
cservice."

that sounds pretty cool. i could do that. but one can't just tell one's parents
to f*** off, you know. one has to whisper it to them when ones parents backs
are turned.

up until yesterday i thought my life was going to be ruined forever because of
the whole conscription thingy, but thankfully nick g's post put my life and
values into some kind of perspective. ok, i'll have to do 13 months of free
community service, but at least i still have my health, for fuck's sake. i
won't quote nick's whole mail here, 'cos this is too long already, but i
sincerely hope that you're going to be alright, nick. everyone, go and read his
mail. now. and delete this one.

-----------------------------------------------***********************----------

why don't they serve free alcohol in workplaces? i mean, is there some kind of
law against it? (probably) i would be motivated to work after a few vodka's...
i might even show up on time for once...

i've been listening to b&s quite a lot lately. i'm playing their bowlie set at
quite a high volume at this very moment, but to my disappointment, none of my
workmates have yet come up to me, and confessed to being a closet b&s fan.
there is hope howerer, for one of the people sitting near me just commented on
my cardigan as i passed her. maybe, just maybe, by playing b&s and wearing b&s
shirts i will spark some kind of reaction in her... some kind of involuntary
reaction, that will invade her consciousness, and make her crave for sweet
indie pop...

time to go, i guess.

i think sinister owns my soul.

 - j a n n e - ( the dickensian philantrope )

p.s. gina, i've tried to mail you for a week now, is there something wrong with
your e-mail, or my head? mail me, your tape will be ready soon...

p.s.s. robert "the smiths" smith, where's that university info you promised me,
you lazy git? don't make me fly to england, take the the train to barnet, and
whoop you like a no good dawg!