Sinister: They echo Tolstoy in their assertion that history is "an inexorable march, with persona irrelevant," although their own looming presence threatens to block out the sun

Steven Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Wed Aug 9 01:26:02 BST 2000

hey you (and you, and you  and you  and you and you etc.)

the universe!

no.

(ha ha ha)*

its warmish and i'm wearing black undies and red socks and wandering about
the house drinking soy milk from the carton.   Maybe i'll wear pants (or
trousers) and go get a roti! R O T I !

so !
stuart murdoch wants to auction off his talents.  perhaps we can get a big
pond of money or agree to collude on the auctioning to make sure that no
list-member drives up the bid prices against another list member.  Then,
once we've secured the 'services' (wink) of every member of the band we can
then make them show us their 'skills' at the same place at the same time and
we can coinicidentally leave several musical instruments around...it may be
the only way of making any b&s concert 'action' happen this year.  for my
talent i will take pictures of gross people holding signs that have the
letters of your name on them, so that if your name is 'phil'  there will be
4 pictures of four different unplesant characters holding signs. this is a
good value for people with very long names.  or i'll find interesting things
in the street and give them to you for a month.

I FOUND PORNOGRAPHY!  a VHS cassette full of it! on the road!  with
scavenging skills like that you know that the neat things i find are worth a
fortune!  the funny thing is that the porno appeared right after i said
'videocassette' in conversation.  and there's this scene where this man in a
ski mask with aviator glasses on wearing crotchless pants (underwear? do i
have this right?) with a big paunch jerks off into the thin end of a pylon.
under the visor that protects the tape i found a fortune cookie fortune that
told me i would get all that i desired through wit and charm, onthe other
side was written 'convicsion'.  weird.

if you fancy pylons i'll make a copy for you.

months earlier i also once found a metal box full of fortune cookies.

so...it seems like the entire UK contingent of the list has had an agressive
attack of the Magnetic Fields.  and that is all well and good, i think
the Mag Fields are great. but from the tone of many of the posts people seem
to _just_ be  discovering the Magnetic Fields and they're doing this by
buying 69 lerv songs....which isn't what you should do!  as good as 69 is,
it is their most thin and underwritten album.  you are all barking up the
wrong tree or l'arbre incorrect (if you're that way inclined)...go buy get
lost and then once you're completely unable to live without stephin merritt
in yr life you can go get the massive albatros album and gothic archies
records and future bible heroes (new ep out!) and such.

ok?

also,
last night i went over to a friend's house and rented loneliness of a long
distance runner.  which was tremendous!  are all tony richardson's films
that good? i'd rent more.  the way that long unsupervised running scene
binds the entire flash-back together is incredible...and sometimes that guy
looks just like mark e smith.  sometimes.... not always...

the other thing is that this friend has 7 other housemates (its a large
house) and one of them is a big metal head.  i'm not talking about metallica
or slipknot or any of that lame shit but stuff like dillinger escape plan
and such...he's really really hardcore.  and that's great, because other
than being the last martha and the muffins fan in the world and quoting
nation of ulysses in all of my posts i also really really really love napalm
death. so we get along great.  so mr. metal head comes downstairs and asks
what movie we're watching and then he tells me that iron maiden have a song
by that name too.

so at last! the link between maiden and b&s has been established!  now the
truth is revealed.  this is leading me to an entire re-evaluation of b&s's
oevre in terms of the connection to terrible 80's mainstream metal, maybe
now family tree will make some sense, just maybe.  maybe next time they do a
live show (in maybe 5 years) they can get bruce dickenson to do the monica
queen parts in llpj.  that'd be pretty um, great.  yes.

bye

s t e v en

*a clever joke.