Sinister: avert your eyes children, he may take on other forms

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Wed Aug 9 04:51:51 BST 2000

**LUNATIC DRIVERS**
I hate people that drive big 4WD land rovers around the suburbs. I know in
America they're pretty common, so I don't want to offend any truck-driving
American listees with the following rant. It's just that in New Zealand, the
sort of people who drive these menaces are almost invariably middled aged,
wealthy suburban housewives who drive like lunatics and think they own the
whole bloody road. I pulled out of my driveway this afternoon and saw one up
the road, a few hundred metres away. Anyway, this psycho sppeds up, starts
flashing her lights and attempts to overtake me on the very narrow road we
live on, just because I was driving AT the speed limit, rather than 30 km/h
over it. Anyway, me being the contary bastard that I am, speed up, swerved
into the middle of the road so that she wouldn't be able to overtake me,
started honking my horn and giving her "the fingers" with great ghusto. She
overtook me anywaym at about 100 km/h, on the wrong side of the road.

Great start to the day.

**MR STEVEN WELLS**
Read his review for "Little Kix", the new Mansun album today. I'm probably
alone on this list for liking Mansun, but I think they are a brilliantly
inventive band. Anyway, his review was rather scathing, and much like his
"interview" with Struan, seemed to entirely miss the point. And again I say,
this man has, in the past, defended The Bluetones. Not that I have anything
agaist The Bluetones. But Swells was saying that Mansun weren't doing
anything new. And I don't recall The Bluetones ever really going out on an
avant garde limb.

**SHOCK/HORROR**
The new B&S album has been released locally here, and is apparently selling
quite well, mostly to men in their late 30s, apparently. And in most places
you get the single of "Legal Man" free with the album. Boy ... sure makes me
feel like a tool for mistakenly buying it twice, once for $20.00 and once
for $29.00. (sigh) Oh well ... I'm still convinced I was the first person in
New Zealand to hear the album. That must count for something, right?

I ate six crumpets for lunch today. I'm home sick with a migrane. Eating
crumpets is just expected of you, when you're sick.

**B&S DREAMS**
Haven't had one in ages. I dreamt last night, however, that some guy
invented a time machine just so he could go back to the early 80s, buy up
heaps of mint-in-box Star Wars action figures and then make gigantic amounts
of money. The dream then degenerated into me battling Darth Vader in a
toyshop somewhere. It was prety intense. But not as intense the night before
when I dreamt about this snake wrapping tiself around my leg and not letting
go. I'm sure Doctor Freud would have something to say about that one.

Avert your eyes children ... I am about tu supplicate myself .....

**RADIO SESSIONS**
My plea last week for the Radio 1 Evening Session in exchange for the two
Radcliffe Sessions heralded only one reply. (Cheers Jessica! - your tape's
in the mail) Anyway, I am STILL desperate for those sessions in either
super-crisp FM stereo or on a CD of some kind. (Along with the "bus session"
of 'The Wrong Girl' it at all possible.) Someone MUST have them, surely?
Anyway, maybe my offer wasn't that appealing, so just let me say I have more
Go-Betweens rarities than you can shake a (very big) stick at, as well as
the Nick Drake "Tamworth in Arden" bootleg, should anyone anything like that
burned onto a CD-R as a trade. C'mon kids ... how about it. I'm down on my
knees here. Similarly, if anyone has the "complete" Black Sessions (mine is
on a tape, and is missing "Paper Boat", I'd love to get a CD vrsion of that
too.

Pleading over.

**ANNOYING PERSONAL BIT**
Chris McQuain, you're going to have to send me your address in order for me
to send that Auteurs tape.

Well, take care kids ...

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme