Sinister: Canada Wouters

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Wed Aug 9 17:09:53 BST 2000

Police sirens flash by somewhere. We seem to be in for a bit of a spell, as
they used to say in 'Porridge'.

Steady Mik' swallowed (properly):

>>There have been mumblings about the Decline Of Belle and Sebastian.
[...]
>>If we scale up these little barrels of
fructive goodness to, say, the approximate size and complexity of a
Scottish pop band, we see the gap between Lithe and Frowsy expands
to, ooh, about four years.

I don't think that he was saying that Bananas & Sebastopol (Road) had
declined. I *think* he was saying, in a clever and witty way (which I've
just deleted from this account), that people's perceptions inevitably change
and weary, in an unfortunate fashion that can't be helped. But you know, now
I'm not so sure. Maybe he really *was* jumping on the rag-and-bone wagon of
'decline'. His 'model' (incomplete) seems to imply a change in the object
itself rather than just in some external perception of it. You see, you
start trying to reply to one of these things and, after 20 seconds, you're
no longer sure what it was actually saying in the first place. It's like
taking a bounce on the iterated flip-board of uncertainty.

Under seashell clouds and gilded sun I went to a quiz yesterday, in Quebec,
SE London. The Belmondoes fought the Sebergs to a tie-break with serves,
volleys, headers, backhands, bungs, lobs, blobs, aces, jacks, straws,
tic-tac toe, tic-tacs, iron maces, mace, Macy's, JC Penney, Woolworth,
Woolco, Wilco (hence 'Dreddie'), banana kicks, avocado shakes, strawberry
switchblades, orange crushes, pear shapes, partridge families, five gold
rings, girls from Ipanema, Girl Talk, cherry bombs, sherbert dips, EMF
records, Sandrine stones, UK CDs, Brazilian mistakes, aisler diagrams, Venn
setts, badgers' houses, necking swallows, Santangelis faults, seconds
alight, the sweetest punches, left hooks, right cheeks, middle distances,
long shots, short order cooks, 96 tears, ring roads, black orchids, Flakey
almond slices, the bride's trousseau, fifer's lanes, les bouts de souffle,
paris kisses, glasgow smiles, london eyes and ears of (sweet)corn, with
tuna. Cuba and Argentina were involved. It was high noon in Iceland. As the
two teams staggered to their feet one last time, DJ Michael Wood of the LRB
played 'Paradise City', and the tie-break question was announced: which is
the best Belle and Sebastian ep?

Stevie T saw his chance and took it. 'This Is Just A Modern Rock Song', he
yelled, as Popkins leapt across the table in slow locomotion to try to stop
the catastrophe. It was too late. Les belles Sebergs correctly announced the
winner as '3...6...9', and the grand prix was theirs. We had to be content
with 'Bandwagonesque'.