Sinister: As clean as a packet of chocolate treats

ian nicolson imn_uk at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 9 21:30:53 BST 2000

Steven Kado stammerred>
> the other thing is that this friend has 7 other  >
housemates (its a large house) and one of them is a >
big metal head.

which I found incredibly intriguing until I realised
he meant that he liked big loud music. I mean, what
could a huge head made of metal do to pay the rent?
maybe pose in a museum, I guess, but there can't be
too many job opportunities these days.  Not since
Moses banned false gods n'all that.

I stayed up to watch 'The Acid House' last night,
cause Sinister told me (I always do what I'm told)
which, despite coming from Edinburgh, I'd never seen
before.  I've never seen 'Trainspotting' all the way
through either - I guess the Chemical Generation kinda
passed me by.  But we're all like that up here, you
know.  There's nothing I like better at the weekends
to go down the pub for a 'swally' then maybe a shot on
the 'puggie' and, if everything goes well, round off
the evening with a jolly good 'swedge'.  ye cannae
beat it.  likesay.  ken.  ya radge.

So, yeh, despite the biggest arts festival in the
whole wide world (is this actually true?  or is it
just something that Edinburgh people like to believe?)
taking place on my doorstep (literally - there was a
troop of Albanian midget ballet dancers doing 'Swan
Lake' out there this morning) I'm sitting in watching
films on TV of an evening.  But I'm just too lazy to
file through the hundreds of programmes, leaflets,
supplements, etc to see if there's anything worth
going to.  So has anyone seen anything good? Or,
indeed, going to see anything which might be good? Let
me know.

Actually, I did go to see the wonderful Neil Ashford
at the Tron last week as part of the Acoustic
Underground thing.  I believe he's playing there again
on the 24th, so if you're in Edinburgh for the
festival, or indeed if you're an Edinburgh denizen
yourself, you really could do a lot worse than to pop
along.  Some local hack (can't remember who...)
compared him to Stuart Murdoch and Thom Yorke.  And to
a cup of coffee, for that matter.   He's a bit
Sodastream-y or even Nick Drake-y, I think.  Which is
good.

They tell me the Queen Mother had a birthday last
week.  Can't believe I missed it (irony), but I found
out today that a celebration CD had been released.
Why have no reviews been posted to the list yet?  I
can only imagine that there'd be a fair number of you
queing up overnight for that one.  I wonder if she
sings on it...

luv etc.
ian n