Sinister: Using anything for ashtrays, drinking drinks you can't afford

kaytee MBP99KLC at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 11 01:14:43 BST 2000

hello sinister,

Today I'd like to make some recommendations. I feel kind of cheeky
recommending stuff on sinister because a) I'm not very knowledgeable about
anything really, b) most of these things have been recommended to *me* by
sinisterines much more knowledgeable than myself, who nonetheless don't feel
the need to shout about them on the list and c) when other sinisterines *do*
recommend things I usually forget straight away instead of getting round to
checking them out. But I'm going to shout about them anyway just because
they're so so good. The thing I most want to shout about is ...

**THE LUCKSMITHS**
... whom I think have been mentioned on sinister before ... an Australian
band. Kind of like the best bits of Billy Bragg, ie the cleverest lyrical
twists and turns and the sweetest sentiments - but anyone who doesn't have
much time for Billy shouldn't be put off. They just have the prettiest and
funniest songs, and a singer who sounds like the wisest person in the world
but the nicest person at the same time. Unbelievably their records aren't
available in Britain (or presumably the US) so you have to order them over
the web. Dammit, I'm only halfway through my project of taping Belle &
Sebastian and Pavement for the whole world! The next thing I want to rattle
on about is ...

**BLOOD ON THE TRACKS**
... by Bob Dylan. There are some bands/singers that I always mean to get
something by but I never get round to it because I don't know where best to
start - like Bowie, or the Fall, or early REM. And best-ofs often lose so
much of the charm somehow. Anyway if anyone is looking for a Dylan album,
every song on here is just amazing. Actually sod that, even if you weren't
looking for a Dylan album I want you to hear this. Again, such beautiful
songs and wonderful lyrics. And his voice is just amazing on it too. I
defy - yes, defy! - anyone to listen to this and still say he can't sing.
One last thing ...

**KURT VONNEGUT**
... who has that rare wisest/nicest thing about him too. I've only read half
a book by him but he writes things like: "I reminded him that I still had to
deliver the detestable speech. 'Nobody is going to listen to what you say,'
he assured me. 'People are seldom interested in the actual content of a
speech. They simply want to learn from your tone and gestures and
expressions that you are an honest man.' 'Thank you,' I said." Or: "Miss
Lauber writes for children. Here is the sort of thing she says to them: 'We
are flying through space. Our craft is the earth which orbits the sun at a
speed of 67 000 miles an hour. As it orbits the sun, it spins on its axis.
The sun is a star.' If I were drunk, I might cry about all that."

Okay, I'll be off now. Except I'll just say it should really be Stoo and
Adrian telling you about the Lucksmiths and Mr Vonnegut.

kaytee