Sinister: he ate up all of my corn

brad ! koolaidwino at xxx.com
Fri Aug 11 03:32:24 BST 2000

recommendations from this list got me all kinds of good stuff in the past.
gobetweens, orange juice, some other stuff i can't remember. actually, it's
one of the few reasons i rejoined. well, that, and because i have no life.

i had to order all those lucksmiths cds from the candle records website,
too. but it worked out well because the american dollar was apparently
better than the australian whatever they call it...so i got all the cds
minus the two i already had for about 70 bucks. it must be said though, that
the first cd with the giraffe on the cover is crap. and the one with the
song about fridge magnets isn't much better. but after that, minus a couple
of songs here and there, it's smooth sailing.

no one one the list has ever mentioned billy bragg i don't think. i always
wrote him off as a political song writer, and i hate political songwriters.
as much as i love dylan, i skip right past some of that early shit about war
and hattie carroll. but i've recently become a billy bragg fan. there's a
couple of those political songs on each album, but if you skip past them,
he's a mighty fine lyricist and songwriter. my favorite album is "worker's
playtime"

yes vonnegut is good. what were you quoting from? one of his newer things?
while those are all fine and dandy, they don't come nowhere near the genius
of say "breakfast of champions" (don't rent the horrible horrible movie
version) or "cat's cradle".....but everyone knows that richard brautigan is
the best writer ever...right? right?

i'd like to recommend some items now:

beach boys "wild honey"...a much overlooked classic in my opinion
fred neil "fred neil"...not so much overlooked, but a classic nonetheless
townes van zandt "live at the old quarter"...i never heard it get that quiet
in here
"beg scream and shout...the big ol' box of 60's soul"....worth every penny
vic chesnutt ...anything you can get your hands on except for the new one
"merriment"...the jury's stil out on that one
lamchop...everything
leonard cohen...everything. even the ones people tell you are crap. "new
skin for the old ceremony" is my personal favorite (thanks rachael)
essex green....their album and ep that i can't remember the names of right
now

and now for the best album i've purchased so far this year:

the mendoza line "we're all in this alone"

i hate when people start talking about indie bands i've never heard of as
much as the next person, but this album is one bad motherfucker! and their
last album "i like you when you're not around" even quotes stuart murdoch in
the liner notes and has a song called "ink polaroids" after stuart
david...and on this kindercore christmas compilation (the new one) they
cover "fox in the snow"........but that's not to say that they sound
anything like belle and sebastian..cause they don't. at all. one of the male
singers reminds me of dylan kinda..especially on the fox in the snow cover.
it sounds like if dylan started making music today rather than in the 60's
and then he decided to cover belle and sebastian.

whew!

(said in a "that was a lot" kinda way rather than in a "ric flair" kinda
way)

-brad