Sinister: the fo[u]nt of all knowledge

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Mon Aug 14 00:02:21 BST 2000

Hello, sinister.  Unfortunately, I have a few thoughts which I absolutely
*must* share.

[pause]

[longer pause]

Damn, I can't remember what any of them were.  Earth-shattering, I assure
you.  Never mind; you'll just have to make do with whatever's on the top
of my head.

MUSIC THAT GETS REMEMBERED
Lawrence Mikkelsen recently said that 80s music wasn't that bad, really,
but all we remember is the stuff that was in the top 40 all the time, and
gets on to "Best of the 80s" compilation CDs.  Does that mean that B&S's
pre-Legal Man stuff is all going to be forgotten except by a small
flame-burning minority of fans?

(pessimists might, of course, claim that this is the current situation.)

PAEDOPHILES AND THE MEDIA
I didn't think much of the News Of The World's actions, and aren't going
to buy it until I forget to remind myself not to buy it.  Since I never
buy it for myself anyway, this isn't going to do much harm to Rupert
Murdoch's personal fortune, but that's hardly the point.  I do think it's
a shame that nobody has published their editor's address yet -- or, for
that matter, that of her Partner In Sexual Congress, Mr. Ross Kemp
("...this man has committed terrible crimes against acting!  OUR CHILDREN
have been forced to watch him 'perform' ON NATIONAL TV!").  I am a fan of
Natural Justice, but not of lynching the neighbours.

(note to non-Brits: Kemp was an actor in the UK soap "Eastenders". His
acting "talent" is limited to one thing: Doing a Menacing Look.)

EDINBURGH
is a bloody awful place to be at this time of year.  Far too many
tourists.  Last Sunday, I went out, forgetting about the Festival
Cavalcade, and had to spend an hour sitting in Princes Street Gardens just
because I was waiting to cross the road.

OK, OK, I could have gone round.  But it would've been a long way.  And
that's not the point.

BEING MISTAKENLY THOUGHT TO BE FEMALE
Happens to me all the time.  I try not to shave too often, which reduces
it somewhat.  I suppose I could shave my head.

THE SUBJECT OF THIS MESSAGE
Just the other day, I bought a copy of the sheet music for FYHCYWLAP -- I
was walking through Edinburgh, passing the music shop on Queensferry
Street, and remembered that it should be in the shops by now.  And it was.
Anyway, I bought a copy, and noticed that it's all printed in the same
font as the album itself, which in turn is the same font used for several
other B&S productions -- Tigermilk, for example.  Anyway, the question
that has been bugging me since is:  what font is it?  it looks a bit like
Century Schoolbook.  It also looks like Computer Modern, but the stems of
the letters look *slightly* too thick (at least, to my eye).  Does anybody
know the answer to this?

(OK, I'm going to stop now.  Sorry to take up your screen.)

--
Will Salt