Sinister: go tell it on the mountain

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Mon Aug 14 19:02:15 BST 2000

I just heard Poem of the River.  I'm stunned.  I didn't realize he could
sing that way after the coldness of the albums before it.  I see how the
comparison to Lloyd Cole in terms of singing style, which others have
made, too, is justified, but the difference is clear.  (They must have had
different ambitions.)  I didn't understand most of the lyrics; it's just
the sound of his voice.

I ordered the Clientele ep but they accidentally sent the 7" (I want you)
more than ever instead.  Before, I thought CDs had good points in terms of
packaging - booklets that favor more writing, lyrics, anecdotes; the size
actually makes simple sleeves look better - but this 7" is so pretty and
there's a warmth that doesn't come through when the sleeve is encased in a
plastic jewel case.  7-inches are the perfect size.  And there's also
something to be said for mystique.

At first I was wary of the hype surrounding the Clientele, but I
listened to stuff on their web site, and the praise seems well-deserved.
They do sound different from B & S, less idiosyncratic.

I'm glad B & S is that way though.  Here is something in that vein (not
for whimsy but for strength of purpose) from Norman Blake:

"What I like about Belle and Sebastian is they like to do things
differently," he enthuses. "I've known Stuart Murdoch, who is the main
songwriter in the group, although they all sort of write, for years.
Stuart was into a band called the Pastels - the seminal Glasgow band
throughout the '80s and '90s - and basically was a member of their fan
club, which was called Pastelism, about five years ago. The fan club did a
fanzine and had conventions in Glasgow every two or three months, which
basically were a big party. "The first place I met Stuart was at one of
these Pastels conventions. And he would play songs - really quirky songs -
on this small keyboard thing."

Here's a link to a potential Stuart Murdoch look-alike (I was only looking
because I thought the model in the Prada ads might be in it; you know the
one they have in the series, holding a glass of water, caught in
compromising situations, etc., but still that's an idle pursuit):
http://www.firstview.com/MENspring2000/PRADA/P018.html

When I downloaded Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner, the end was cut
off.  Was it that way for others, as well?  I tried to download it again,
but the link no longer works.  Of course, I'm grateful to be able to
listen to it at all.

I've been reading stories by Flannery O'Connor lately.  She has the same
cast of characters, but tells a different story each time.  That's why I
didn't think that Stuart David's criticism that Stuart Murdoch was writing
the same songs over and over had much merit to it.  Billy Liar *is* good.
I started Billy Liar on the Moon but returned it to the library after a
couple of chapters: at that age, it becomes less interesting, or maybe
it's a different story.  Listening to a really good record (CD) is like
having a super bout of #1 thinking.

Yours,
Youn

PS Sorry if this was boring.  You know how when you're bored you're
boring?  Does the singer on the 4th song of Comet Gain's Tigertown
Pictures say something like this?  I asked my former roommate to translate
for me, but he's not a native speaker, and he wasn't really clear.
Thanks.  (So actually I guess I would appreciate Poem of the River more if
my life were more exciting right now ... I know it's there though ...
maybe I bored myself writing this ... On the back of Poem of the River, it
says 'I will be the first person in history to die of boredom'; yet the
songs are anything but boring.)