Sinister: aawww, did you miss me?

the original pixidustlady pixidustlady at xxx.uk
Mon Aug 14 20:25:10 BST 2000

hello folks,
read this earlier:

>PIXIDUST
>ain't she been stirring up some insurrections?  i'm
>not complaining, i love it!  but then she disappears.
>Is she an NME mole, sent in to destroy the fragile
>network of harmonious discontent?  or did they
>underestimate our powers?

ha! how i wish i did have a job at the NME.  but i wouldn't be their mole,
i'd be yours.  working night and day to bring steven wells to his knees, and
enlighten all 'the kids' with wondrous tales of B&S dreams and picnics and
cardies and midnight biscuit-dunking.
however, with my limited vocabulary - um, what's an insurrection? - i fear i
will never crack into journalism, with the possible exception of mad ranting
letters that will only get printed so that the editor can rubbish
them....sigh.

nevermind, i'll get them all with my novel

the reason i disappeared is utterly mundane, but soul-destroying at the same
time.
i'm working all summer to get some money together for uni you see.  i have a
full time job at the local council canteen.  my boss is insane and
intolerable.  he shouts at me and i cry.  i work 5, sometimes 6, days a
week, including saturdays.  i stand all day.  i get abused by mean customers
all day.  i slice and butter 200 bread rolls EVERY morning.  i get burnt by
steam, hot water and sparking fat.  the heat in the kitchen is so unbearable
at times that i think i might faint.  i have been working for 7 weeks now,
and in that time i have lost half a stone.  i was underweight before, but
now it's just ridiculous and i feel really rundown and tired all the time
because of it.  this hasn't exactly helped my mental health either.  i
haven't seen my boyfriend for 9 weeks.  i'm living at home again with my
parents.  my life is exactly the same as it was this time last year and i
feel like i've regressed totally, gone nowhere, done nothing.  it's so
demoralising.  i've lost all my confidence and become very stressed and
unable to cope.  i used to take anti-depressants, but i was really pleased
when i sorted myself out enough to come off them.  now i just feel hopeless
again, like i need to go back on medication.  it's really awful.
so, you see, i've not really had the energy or the mental capability to
write interesting posts, as this one testifies (sorry if you're bored).
i'm just lost in a monotonous drone of getting up, going to work, coming
home, eating, watching tv, sleeping.  it's all i've done for about a month
now.
UNTIL LAST SATURDAY NIGHT THAT IS !!!!!!!!!

12th august is a big day round these parts.  all the farmers get together to
show off their cows and sheep and give eachother prizes for the meanest
looking bull, or the fluffiest lamb or whatever.  other farmers come from
all over scotland to marvel at the wondrous cattle.  there are even dancing
tractors - has to be seen to be believed- and when the prize-giving is
finished, usually by noon cos all the farmers have been up since 5am,
everybody retires to the beer tent to start drinking.  the drinking
continues for about 12 hours, before everyone staggers to a different tent
to drunkenly attempt a dance. hahaha.  this dance is the high-point of the
Orkney social calendar.  EVERYBODY, and i really mean that, cos there aren't
that many people here, goes to this dance to get wasted and fight with other
farmers.  it is mind-boggling and sickening at the same time.
but this year me and my friends boycotted.  we went to the beach and had a
party there.  we took magic mushrooms and tripped out on the sand, next to
the seas, by a great roaring fire.  i had a mad mad trip, remembering all
these things from my childhood, stuff totally buried in my brain.  it was
really weird.  my brain was going so fast.
so now i feel better for having broken the monotony.
and this post is really really long.
love karen xxxxx
p.s. - it's pixidustlady, not just pixidust. ta
p.p.s. - congrats to amy jackson for your exam results, well done that
girl!!