Sinister: B & S travelogue--tautologies and oxymorons

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 15 10:52:39 BST 2000

Schatz -

I'd say your friend isn't half as clever as you think and the oxymoron is
probably 'Summer in winter, winter in springtime' after all.

I'd also guess that the tautology s/he had in mind is one you missed.  When it
comes to tautologies, there's a fine line between stupid and clever, but I
reckon We Rule the School's "Written for anyone to read, and to see" is firmly
in the 'stupid' camp .  I think someone else said as much a while ago.  I mean
of course they can bloody see it if they can read it.  Unless it was *carved*
into the bus stop with some kind of really sharp implement and could be read
with one's fingers, but I don't think that's very likely at all.

IncidentalIy, I wouldn't say 'You could either be successful or be us' is
strictly speaking a tautology, because taken alone, 'us' isn't necessarily
unsuccessful.  The line is indirectly imparting the information that they are
not successful.  Even if the line were "you could either be successful or be
unsuccessful", one could argue that it wasn't tautological, because it would be
offering two alternative life paths, rather than simply making a meaningless
prediction of the 'Well, Exeter will either win or lose this match' variety.

> we had a big search for a boy called richard's poo

Bet he gets bullied.  Oh, I see - he does.

> So then a boy called Hatham who is gay decided to not be gay
> any more and stick his tongue in my mouth instead.

Please can this be the new footer, honey?

N. x