Sinister: don't hit me plaese. tautologies are mean

kmhyde at xxx.edu kmhyde at xxx.edu
Tue Aug 15 15:01:19 BST 2000

> > Here's another oxymoron that might be more
interesting:

> > "I am a lazy gett, she is as pure as the cold
driven snow"

> >but it depends on an interpretation of 'driven' as
driven through, or
> >maybe driven away, as an outcast?  This is iffy and
probably has to do
> >with my original mishearing of 'cold' as 'coal',
i.e. perfect snow that
> >has been blackened by human traffic.  A point in my
favor: snow is suc> h a
> >cliched image for purity, he must have meant to use
it in a new way.
> >Otherwise, what does 'driven' have to do with
purity, unless it's purity
> >of the repressed or frigid sort, not innocence.
>
> I don't see what you mean here, Youn.  Isn't 'cold
driven snow' just a st> ock
> phrase? It might sound odd, but I'm pretty sure lots
of people use it.  I> t's
> kind of poetic, as cliches go.  I always assumed it
meant 'driven' in the>  sense
> of a blizzard that 'drives' down hard.  But I have to
say I was never qui> te
> sure.

yeah, that's what it means- blizzard of snow that's
fiercely packed down. it sounded like an old phrase, so
i called my eighty year old grandfather, and he assured
me that it's an old phrase, and it means like, when the
snow is all in drifts and such because there's so much.

yikes, that was an awkward call. "yeah, grandpa...no,
nobody i know in real life...yes, on the computer...no
I still like girls."

> >But aren't tautologies supposed to be literally
tautological?  Then it> 's
> >contingent on either interpretation of 'or'.  But
this isn't taking
> >into account the meaning of 'could'.  It's a
tautology with a wide sco> pe
> >reading for the modal, which is justified
because 'either' follows it,
> >unless you don't believe it's possible for anyone to
be successful.  A> nd
> >say that we mean something is possible if it is at
all possible.

Okay, we can settle this with a little symbolic logic.
(that, by the way, is an ace thing to say in bed. try
it, and watch the ladies' faces pop into a rictus of
terror)
in logic, tautologies are true under every
interpretation. that means it must be true no matter
what *individual* truth values are assigned to the
atomic sentences of 'you are us' and 'you are
successful'. Stuart seems to be using this in
the "exclusive" sense, in that he seems to be saying
"you could be successful, or be us, but you can't be
successful AND be us." or in symbols- where U is (you
could be us) and S is (you could be successful)
SvU * (~[U*S]). So, when both S and U are assigned the
truth value of "true", it comes out as false. so, it's
not a tautology.

okay, for that all, I deserve to be hit, I know.

I would go into the modal logic and Wittgensteinian
language games that would blow all this away, but that
would require a special program, and even then, I would
hate myself for posting it. to say nothing of all those
people who are saying "what the...an asterisk?". i'm
sorry.hopefully this ends the thread. if we're lucky..

keep watching the lyric sheets! (oxymoron- the reality
of the dream- space boy dream)

kevin