Sinister: don't hit me plaese. tautologies are mean

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Tue Aug 15 17:10:28 BST 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 kmhyde at wm.edu wrote:

> yeah, that's what it means- blizzard of snow that's
> fiercely packed down. it sounded like an old phrase, so
> i called my eighty year old grandfather, and he assured
> me that it's an old phrase, and it means like, when the
> snow is all in drifts and such because there's so much.
>
> yikes, that was an awkward call. "yeah, grandpa...no,
> nobody i know in real life...yes, on the computer...no
> I still like girls."

Thanks, Kevin.  A grandfather's opinion is very important, and you were
very brave to risk it. Both of you were right, of course.  Here are a
few hits from google:

"Pure as the Driven Snow A Working Girl's Secret by Paul Loomis"

"...Nuclear Sewage Water Pure as Driven Snow A New Technology Makes..."

"Pure as the driven snow...yeah, sure."

"Pure as the driven snow: study dispels myth about street heroin"

Yeah, they were chosen selectively.  But am I the only one who thinks the
expression is used ambiguously in the song?

> Okay, we can settle this with a little symbolic logic.
> (that, by the way, is an ace thing to say in bed. try
> it, and watch the ladies' faces pop into a rictus of
> terror)
> in logic, tautologies are true under every
> interpretation. that means it must be true no matter
> what *individual* truth values are assigned to the
> atomic sentences of 'you are us' and 'you are
> successful'. Stuart seems to be using this in
> the "exclusive" sense, in that he seems to be saying
> "you could be successful, or be us, but you can't be
> successful AND be us." or in symbols- where U is (you
> could be us) and S is (you could be successful)
> SvU * (~[U*S]). So, when both S and U are assigned the
> truth value of "true", it comes out as false. so, it's
> not a tautology.

Exclusive and inclusive readings apply to 'or', not to the definition of a
tautology.  I agree that it seems that the exclusive reading is meant, but
I think that is evident, without taking speaker intentions into account,
from the use of either/or.  A contingent statement is neither a tautology
nor a contradiction, so we're basically saying the same thing.

> I would go into the modal logic

All I meant is that if you believe that it is possible for anyone to be
successful, then the statement "you could be successful" is a tautology.
There is no need to work this out in propositional logic because it is
intuitively obvious.
(What I said in my previous email implied that the scope of 'could'
relative to 'or' matters, but it doesn't because the following statements
are true in the same situations:  "it is possible for you to be successful
or it is possible for you to be us"; "it is possible for you either to be
successful or to be us".)

I'm not so sure anymore if tautologies depend on literal interpretations
though I can't think of any non-literal ones.  If not, then what Nick was
pointing out, why the statement might thought to be a tautology but isn't
one, has merit and at least greater audience appeal then the stuff above.
A common form for tautologies is p or not p, but natural language doesn't
follow the law of the excluded middle, i.e. you can be neither successful
nor unsuccessful - just middling.

I know that Kevin wanted the thread to end, but everyone wants to have the
last say.  And these things are exciting to me.

I decided to keep my Clientele cd.  I'll be able to hear it in a week.
Then I've got to find the one featuring a duet with Pam Berry.  Would
Steady (Mvi) * (~kve) happen to know if it's going to be on the upcoming
album?  (This question will never get answered down here.)

Yours,
Youn