Sinister: Sweetheart of the Rod-eh-oh!

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Aug 16 10:41:32 BST 2000

I refuse to get drawn into this ugly Magnetic Fields argument that is
clearly brewing on the horizon, but I suspect the suggestion that their
earlier records were better than their "new", "popular" one is a
well-ploughed furrow in the world of indie pop, or indie rock as Mister
Merrit calls it. I've been reading his Jukebox Jury in the huitieme issue of
Chickfactor. He is relentlessly negative, the very antithisis of an acid
jazzer. He is frighteningly well-up on indie rock. What are those bald
patches on the side of your head called, you know, like as if you used to be
in Showaddywaddy or Rocky Sharpe and the Replays? I'm thinking sideburns,
but that's wrong. He's got them, whatever they're called.

PF, I haven't heard any other Rod albums, but if I were you I would stick to
the ones with stickers on them saying:

ROD STEWART
THE
CLASSIC YEARS
Newly Re-mastered
Original Artwork

...and be prepared for a quick trip down the secondhand shop. Purley on the
basis of its cover "Smiler" has got to be a winner. Other than that, it's
The Faces. I used to have a Faces record, but I sold it. How's that for lack
of foresight? It was very raucous. I think it was called "An Old Handbag
Won't Let You Down" or something similar. Quite good, as I recall.

I've looked up "tautology" and I feel compelled to express, I must say, that
it is the very bread and butter, the meat and two veg of pop lyrics. If only
Trousers were still here, he could commission a book on the subject.
Incidentally, is the next Papercuts launch party going to be held in the
revolving restaurant at the top of the Post Office Tower? Just asking. By
the way, I looked up "tautology" to see whther PF was slagging off Pam or
not. He wasn't.

Does anyone know any versions of "I'd Rather Go Blind" except those by Rod,
Etta James and Paul Weller? I need to find the best one, it can't possibly
be Rod, much as I love him, the wee pervert.

Speaking of which, I bet quite a lot of the people going round ganging up on
former child sex offenders are very frightened unconvicted sex offenders
themselves. It's often the case. Now all we have to do is get that idea into
the heads of the mobs and hey presto! Pop Will Eat Itself.

Great drumming on those Rod albums.

Peter