Sinister: Unhappy juxtapositions

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 16 18:38:39 BST 2000

> well, surely the difference between reading and seeing is like the
> difference between listening and hearing, non?

Yeah, that would be all very well if the line were presented in the order
"written for anyone to see and to read".  One can see what's on the bus stop
without reading it but cannot read it without seeing it.  So the 'see' bit is
redundant.  Unless you buy Mike the renegade monk's interpretation of 'see'.
But I don't.  I just think SM's filling out the line.

>> Can anyone remember anything re. Drop Nineteens? I wish I could.

> aaah the long lost days of 92 - the drop nineteens were all nineteen
> (inspired) and did the really quite wonderful 'my aquarium' ('when
> you smiiiile - i think it's bedder the second time around, and at the
> end - you can do it agaaaaain...') thems were the days.

No they bloody weren't.  I remember the Drop Nineteens.  I remember taking an
intense dislike to them when the lead singer did an interview with the NME in
which he boasted about people being much richer in the USA.  'People's house in
England are just so... shitty compared to the States', he said.  Fuck off back
to Delaware you blinkered shit, I thought.  Later I thought it was refreshingly
honest, but then I changed my mind again.

Peter Miller will find lots of versions of 'I'd rather go blind' if he goes to
cdnow.com and does a song title search.  I liked the prospect of Little Milton's
version until I found out it was on a 1998 album that starts with a track called
'Big Boned Woman' and follows it with one called 'He Saw An Opening', which
seemed an unhappy juxtaposition.  Maybe it's just me.  Instead I recommend he
goes for Long John Baldry's 'On Stage Tonight-Baldry's Out!'

I agree with Mark for once.  69 Love Songs pisses all over 'Get Lost'.  That's a
good thing in my book.  Would anyone like to read my book.  It's not all golden
showers, you know.  Has anyone bid for Belle and Sebastian's services yet?

N. x