Sinister: Richard Colburn interview.

Ben Ferneyhough bferneyhough at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 18 10:32:34 BST 2000

Good morning all, my mate brought in a copy of this morning's Metro paper (a
free paper in London) and there was this interview in it, so thought you all
might to read it. A few inaccuracies in it I think, but it's interesting
anyway.

Ben x

The 60 second Interview:
Richard Colburn.

Belle & Sebastian are the Scottish band that scarcely anyone has a bad word
for. They haven’t courted fame, they’re not known for pursuing a rock ‘n’ roll
lifestyle (indeed, they barely have ever seem to venture out of Glasgow) and
they hardly ever give interviews, Here drummer Richard Colburn, 30, reveals a
few secrets.

* The band is often described as ‘fey’. is this fair ? Are you drippy ?
Yes and no. It’s not fair because that’s not the way it is at all. But, given
the way we’re put across, then it probably is fair. I mean, if you don't want
a tag them change your image. If anybody met me they’d have a shock.

* How would you confound expectations ?
I’d take them out drinking. I’ve recently been to Ireland and it wasn’t a twee
weekend. I used to drink a lot of Guinness. I had a pretty cool concoction at
one point - Guinness with Baileys chasers and pints of cider. I missed my
flight back because we went to the boozer until ten o’clock in the morning.

* How did B&S come to make their first album ?
Most bands get together with as vision of being pop stars. It wasn’t like that
for us. We were doing a music business course at college. The course had a
label. Every year they signed a band to do a single - not for the benefit of
the band, but for the benefit of the course - so people could see what it was
like to sign and promote a band. We were picked. The budget was bigger than
expected, so we did an album. Only about 1,000 records went out and we didn’t
expect any comeback. It wasn’t my life’s dream - it just happened.

* Did Blue Peter really refuse to let you on ?
We talked a lot about doing Blue Peter. It would be quite different - a change
of pace from doing Jools Holland stuff. You’d be dodging dogs, cats and
tortoises and probably singing next to some majorettes. I think we might have
put a request in and they probably did turn it down. We even had the thought
of doing the Eurovision Song Contest.

* Your worst ever job ?
I was a postman when I was about 16. I was on a casual contract. they’d phone
up at 4am and if you’d been out the night before it was awful. You’d hear the
phone ringing and think: ‘Oh no, it’s them’. The worst bite I ever saw in my
life was from a cat. They have the sharpest teeth. I was a snooker player for
a while as well.

* So you were nearly Steve Davis ?
I’ve still got some old bow ties and dinner jackets I use to wear at
tournaments. I would never wear them again. I won a few tournaments but
nothing major because I never stuck at it. If you’re going to put 110 percent
in it there’s probably not much point.

* Ever played a gig that hasn’t worked ?
Jesus Christ, aye. The first Belle and Sebastian gig we played was when we
were at college. The audience didn’t know if it was the soundcheck or the gig
and neither did we. Another bad one was when we played in France and they out
us straight after a band called Loch Ness. they thought there was a Scottish
connection. This band played three hours of heavy metal and pink covers. We
knew we played the quietist music in the world and not very well so we were
terrified. But Loch Ness did three encores then everybody left.

* What would other band members say was your most annoying habit ?
Not being able to say no. If someone asks me to do a gig, whatever, I’ll
always go: ‘Aye, right, magic, that’ll do’. It gets me and the rest of the
band into bother. Neil, our manager, has to go round undoing the things I’ve
agreed to.

* Your most embarrassing item of clothing ?
A horrible pair of brown Y-fronts. I shared a flat with seven or eight other
people and there was a drying room I left them in once. Someone went in and
the rest of us heard a loud shriek. We all came running and he walked out
holding these tattered faded things. I’ve thrown them away now.

* Do you still feel young ?
When I reached 27 I realised I wasn’t young anymore. I don’t mind. It’s when
I’ve been on a bender - or maybe at a festival playing with other bands - and
you come back feeling terrible. My girlfriend Louise is a bit younger than me
and she’s had a couple of knock-backs from nightclubs and pubs because they
think she’s under 18. That’s never going to happen to me.

* Anything that makes you switch the radio off ?
Quite a lot of trance that seems OK but it’s on the radio all the time and
there’s only so much you can take. I’ve been listening to funk and a bit of
hip hop. I also like the new Badly Drawn Boy album and James Taylor stuff.

* Who’d you most like to play with ?
I’d love to play in Beck’s band. It’s phenomenal.

Richard Colburn DJs at the Social W1 (020 7636 4992) on August 26.

Interview by Victoria Moore.