Sinister: stevie interview and imstuckforaninterestingsubjectlinecanyoutell?

Chris_t_opher chris_t_opher at xxx.com
Sun Aug 20 19:07:30 BST 2000

<breathes deeply>

now... let me see if i can get through this.

i havent posted since...  <checks the archive> May the.... 18th.
so im a bit out of shape.
but kalliope suggested i had another go, so this is it.
and for a change (for my posts at least) i'm going to include something that
*someone* might like to read.
its down in the middle somewhere, just to be awkward.

first of all, has anyone commented on the guy in High Fidelity who looks a
bit like Moby?
i'd be surprised if no one has!
um. some connection to lots of listees (myself included).
the film's great as well.
i've never read the book, but it was a refreshing change from the usual
made-for-the-cinema rubbish i usually end up watching.

go see it. dont go see x-men.
that's just dull.

a-levels and highers. i hope they went well for anyone that did any.
mine went as expected so im into manchester.
i might still be contracted to nottingham but i think im going to get out of
it.
a shopping trip on friday persuaded me id prefer manchester.
might meet some listees there, might not :o)
email me if you like.

speaking of which, were any of you lot on the train today from Edinburgh to
Dundee?
i saw a guy with glasses on who had a FYHCYWLAP carrier bag but decided not
to talk to him.
he was going to dundee anyway, so i'll expect to see said person at the
delgados gig on thursday night.
and, again, i probably wont speak to him.
ho hum.

speaking of which, (re-occuring theme?) i plan on visiting america next week
and speaking to *none-of-you*
nice and friendly, arent i? :o)

Interesting bit.........

anyway, i was in ireland two weeks ago and picked up a copy of a magazine
called dSide.
not too sure what it is but ive just found an interview with Mr. Stevie
Jackson.
so, here are some selected extracts:

<rearranges desk so he can type and read at-the-same-time!>

"I honestly thought that when we started out that maybe we'd become popular
enough to play in every town. I thought our first album Tigermilk was great
and that maybe there would be kids in every town that would like this. I
thought we could achieve something like The Pastels. It kind of went through
the roof. I don't know why. There's been some good music, but a lot of it
has been luck. And a lot of it is down to radio. We Were lucky because Mark
Radcliffe played our record on national radio the week Tigermilk came out.
By the time Sinister came out, Lamacq, Peel and Whiley were playing us. That
is why we became successful, and that's why we didn't really have to force
ourselves on the music press and try and get a buzz up that way"

then there's some stuff about *selling out* and stevie replies:

"I get really sick of hearing that is is our first chart eligible single.
Bar one, every single has been chart eligible. And as far as I'm concerned,
they're all pop records. We're a pop group! Christ, what do people
expect..... I mean, were not avant-garde jazz or thrash death metal. It is
very commercial pop music, always has been. Its music to be played on radio
and its there fore anyone who wants it. There's a lot of things Ill admit
to, but regards "selling out"... no we havent "sold out", whatever that
means. Maybe we've always "sold out", ' he adds, chuckling.

he says "fair enough" to the criticism about the new album, apparently, but
there *are* some "crackers" on it.

i'll leave it at that.
my eyes are hurting because the print is size 8 or something and i dont
trust my fingers to type what im reading.
just shout if youd like more.
i'll go buy some glasses.

Less interesting bit.......

does *anyone* actually like this new Bright Eyes album?
from what ive heard, not many do. i cant see why not tho.

ah, and i found a Spacemen 3 album in Aflecks Palace so i think i might have
to get addicted to them now.
they made music that i can just sit and hum a bit over what im hearing and
wonder why they didnt think of it.
i like that feeling :o)

and two rare(looking) House of Love singles magically found their way to me.
still not a patch on the field mice or trembling blue stars, but interesting
enough.

anyone going to any Fringe gigs this week?
i might go to one or two but cant decide.
probably because im a lazy b*st*rd.

better stop there then
nice to be actively sinister again
chris_t_opher