Sinister: Gimme gimme gimme it slowly baybee

ian nicolson imn_uk at xxx.uk
Mon Aug 21 10:02:07 BST 2000

If I was doing this properly I should be in bed just
now, but I decided to post on a Monday morning solely
because I can.  You know, it's one of the great joys
of unemployment (along with insomnia, soul-destroying
boredom and general loss of self-respect) to be able
to relax on a Sunday evening and not have that
sickening 'shit, work/school/college/prison tomorrow'
feeling.  I mean, 'Songs of Praise' has never been so
good... It's also quite fun to go into town of an
afternoon, just to snigger at the office workers
quickly munching down their sandwiches before heading
back for four hours of drudgery.  Because, of course,
I do all sorts of exciting things instead, like, uh,
wandering aimlessly.  And they have money and I don't
and I really feel like getting drunk without feeling
guilty.

For all you sexy Edinburgh Festival goers, future B+S
illustrator and sometime novelist and artist Alasdair
Gray will be appearing (in a puff of smoke, one would
hope) at the book festival in Charlotte Square on
Friday (25th) at 2.30pm to talk about his Book of
Prefaces.  You really should go, cause he's great fun.
 I went to see Edwin Morgan reading poetry there last
week, just to pretend that I'm cultured and
intelligent and stuff.  And a reminder that the
luverly Neil Ashford will be playing his haunting
acoustic tunes at the Tron on Thursday at 7.30pm,
which you really should go to too.

Rod Stewart was always a twat in my book.  I'm far too
young to remember, but wasn't he a sorta Oasis of the
early seventies?  What a terrible thought.  And all
that 'cor blimey, me old mate, I'm Scotland's biggest
fan'.  'Every beat of my heart', my arse!  Mind you,
he'd probably get a game these days...

Some people (Americans, one would imagine) have been
talking about elections.  Being something of an
ignorant sort, all I know about US politics is that
the Republicans are evil and are represented by an
elephant and the Demycrats are useless and have a
thing about donkeys, although this is something my mum
told me and I'm not sure whether to believe her.  Do
people vote  solely on the basis of their preferred
animal?  Cause if they did you'd think they'd go for
more dynamic or even cute animals.  I think Tony Blair
should adopt of fluffly little kitten for the Labour
party over here - it'd be bound to pull the votes.

Anyways, another fun filled day beckons, with all
those troubling dillemmas, like 'go out or stay in?'.
Gosh, it's not half exciting!

luv and kisses
ian n