Sinister: Breitner Layter

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Tue Aug 22 18:49:36 BST 2000

An interesting character said:

>>What about Ronnie Lane? A
fine musician who was always overshadowed by
charismatic shag-monster frontmen.

Yes, Ronnie Lane's Cheap Trick - what was the album called again? Was it
Cheap Trick? I don't think so, I think that was just the name of the band -
anyway, there was a veneer of sophistication there, no, hang on, a veneer of
crudity, beneath which lay a secret valleyu of sophistication. I am reminded
of what Michael Wood (LRB), the DJ at the 'Quebec Curve', said about Woody
Allen's marriage. I think you know what I'm talking about. Beneath that
facade there was probably a pretty good illusion, clanking away.

PJ Miller compared Rod to Nick Drake. I like it, I like it - this is a
potentially vibrant comparison. It might make Nick Drake more interesting.
Is this possible? I think so. Is it, on the other hand, possible to make Rod
more interesting? Again yes: it's about ways of thinking about these old
geezers. Rod Drake and Nick Stewart, that concept has a future, somewhere in
the past, as WG Sebadoh says somewhere in 'Zopyra'. He's published other
works too, mind. I'm looking forward to seeing extracts from them on this
list.

Time has told me that I have still not got around to telling you about the
Black Tambourines. Perhaps they should remain just between themselves.

Additional reportage:
Rod Cadamarteryyii