Sinister: Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:55:30 +0100

Knightowl knightowl at xxx.net
Wed Aug 23 02:06:48 BST 2000

> Who the heck is this Nader guy that keeps getting mentioned on the list?
Is
> he an American politician or something?

Anti corporate crusader Ralph Nader. Made famous by his campaigns and class
action suits against car companies. American Green Party candidate and a
generally swell human being.

> It seems to me that in America the two political parties both sing from
the
> same proverbial hymn sheet. Is it really democratic to have a two party
> political system?

Other parties are allowed, but they simply don't have corporate backing -
i.e. big money, so most people never hear much about them.

You're in the UK right? How can you criticize the two party US system? Yours
is almost identitical and on top of it, you've got those blithering old
idiots in the house of lords and all those inbred royals to deal with.

Tories/Labour, Republicans/Democrats, not much difference. The difference
between Tony Blair (is that his name?) and Bill Clinton is one got press
from spilling his seed in his wife, the other on an intern's dress.

John Major was identical to George Bush, and Thatcher was Reagan in a dress.
Its almost like you wait to see what happens in the US and then vote for the
closest facsimile ;-)

Perhaps that's just the way it
> is in the most powerful country on earth, where you can vote for any
> president you want as long as they're right wing.

Oh now don't get too high and mighty. Your fading empire is just the same.

Introduce some radical
> lefties, communists or environmentalists or something and stir it all up a
> bit

And THAT would be Ralph Nader.

> For what it's worth, I think anybody who wants to be a politician
> or president or whatever shouldn't be allowed within a hundred miles of an
> election because they're generally all in it for the ego trip and not for
> the benefit of the people who vote for them.

Well I won't really argue with that, but lets not put all the blame on the
politicians for the lack of change. If everybody who isn't going to bother
to vote - for example - went out and voted for Nader, real change would
actually happen. "the people" have only themselves to blame.

and Judy is a dick slap ;-)

Ed