Sinister: showing far too much knowledge about politics to be good...

David White david at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 23 14:22:29 BST 2000

Knightowl wrote:

>You're in the UK right? How can you criticize the two party US system?
Yours

>is almost identitical and on top of it, you've got those blithering old

>idiots in the house of lords and all those inbred royals to deal with.

Yes I'm in the UK and it's a fair point about the house of Lords but
regarding the two party system, I beg to differ. In the UK anybody can stand
for parliament even independents and you don't need to be a
multi-millionaire or have the backing of massive business to do it. I think
all it takes is a couple of thousand pound deposit to enter the vote for any
seat in the country. It can be very entertaining to watch your normal grey
suited political candidates standing at the results next to a bloke dressed
as a giant panda or wearing multi-coloured clothes and a daft hat or
something equally daft! (I remember one of the funniest things on TV in
recent years was when comedian Mark Thomas entered a by-election and chased
the Conservative MPs open-topped campaign bus in his own open-topped bus)

We also have a parliament made up of at least 8 different parties, sure you
have your Labour and Conservatives but you also have the Liberal Democrats
who got quite a few seats at the last election, the Scottish National Party
who have a few, the Welsh independents, a few ultra right wingers from
Northern Ireland, Gerry Adams and his IRA lot and one independent who stood
on the grounds of being "Anti-sleaze", so it's not in any way a two party
system like in the US. There is also a Green party MP in the Scottish
parliament. As for those inbred Royals, as far as I am aware, the queen does
not have any important role to play in politics other than formal ocassions
such as opening parliament. I personally can't stand the Royals and think
they are all a bunch of money grabbing parasites for what it's worth, one of
the few things I admire about the US is the fact that status is not defined
by who your ancestors were. I also think its a scandal that Prince William
got his place in university before he even got his A level results, yeah as
if any university was ever going to knock him, and the resulting publicity
and money he will attract, back.

Anyhow, that's enough ranting from me,

Dave

www.belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk