Sinister: Re: sinister-digest V4 #252

ByTheSea6 at xxx.com ByTheSea6 at xxx.com
Fri Aug 25 18:12:34 BST 2000

<< I would love to
stand up with Ralph Nader and say boo to the business world and, in the end,
 I probably will. But it will be with righteous tears in my eyes because I
 think that a vote for Ralph Nader is a vote for George W. Bush  >>

Nadar has addressed the idea of the Spoiler several times.  To Nadar, the
Republican and Democratic parties are so similiar at this point that he
doesn't really see it making much difference who wins out of Bush and Gore.
His issues are in opposition to views shared by "Bore and Gush."  The concern
about how Gore and Bush will vary on supreme court appointments is an
exageration, so says Nadar. If Bush attempts to appoint members to the court
that might overturn Roe vs. Wade, it will backfire so drastically, public
outcry and mass protest will be heard so loudly, that ultimately it will
never happen.  I tend to agree with this.  The recent debate over stem cell
research highlights for us again that the majority of americans view the
pro-life movement to be a block of everything from basic rights issues to
issues of scientific progress.  I think Nadar is saying, look you can elect
Gore and the environment will continue to be mistreated at the current and
dangerous rate, the global corporations will continue to press their agenda's
beyond the control of all forms of regulation, etc; or you can elect Bush and
things will be just as bad, probably much worse (today in the NY Times Cheney
is saying how all the National Monuments and Parks that Clinton established
in the West these past 8 years should be seriously reviewed for the purpose
of removing their current protected status).  This is the "worse of two
evils," notion.  What Nadar is saying is, let's send a powerful message from
the Left. Nadar knows he can't win. But he does know that every major
political movement in america has come from a 3rd Party influence, from the
abolition movement to the civil rights movement, the two party system only
opens to change when they see their own membership and popularity begin to
drain towards a third party idea.  This is what Nadar ultimately hopes to
achieve; he hopes that by pulling 10-15% of the vote this election, he can
pull the collective head from the collective ass of the democratic and
republican parties.  That issues like campaign finance reform and the
environment getting kicked in the teeth by the WTO will stop.