Sinister: walter the softy's textile ranch

Ant Fineran ant at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 30 21:16:32 BST 2000

Jumbo jet vignettes to y'all for being so great! My spidey senses just
tingled and assured me that yesterday evening, in a quiet, bluish-green
part of the city, the following event occurred: puffy-haired man, possibly
trained as.. a mercenary, threw a bomb right out the cargo hold of a lost
woodland ambulance. Then, an older man reluctantly cried, "Brrravo!" in a
Siberian accent.. it gets blurry from then on, somebody maybe warbling, "He
ain't heavy, he's just confused." Time for another spidery check-up, I
think, because ignorance and spiders should of course be given a second
chance in Pop, as a wise person once said. Or was that a Yiddish saying?

Lawrence from Felt was interviewed in Select a while ago, and his evocative
cheekbones were bound to touch upon the subject of his most famous
follower, sooner or later at least.. if anyone's interested:

You must be aware of Stuart Murdoch wearing a Felt T-shirt on stage.
  "Yeah, I thought it was great, because people always come up to me and
tell me how much they like Felt, and people like Death In Vegas drop our
name in print, but it was so nice for someone to really stick their neck
out - particularly as Belle & Sebastian are a really good band. I think
Stuart Murdoch is a better song writer than I've ever been."

Have you ever met him?
  "Yeah, it was funny, because I was just sitting in the ICA bar one
afternoon and this guy I know came in. He told me how the Tindersticks were
playing the ICA the next night and how the support band were huge fans of
Felt. So I went to the show and it was really odd because Stuart Murdoch
was changing some of the lyrics to Felt lyrics. I met him afterwards in the
bar and he was saying, 'I don't know if you noticed, but I was fitting in
Felt lyrics.' I'd certainly noticed."

Personally, I love that last thing he says and like to endow it with a kind
of reflective tone.

Thanks to Dave for posting the Lord Anthony MP3, it's a bit crackly, yet to
this first-time listener it was audible enough to inspire some dugong-like
internet research, whereupon I found this site, and a song called "Swarm
Me":

http://www.ireggae.com/anthonyb/swarmme1.htm

Here is an excerpt (taken for my purposes and thus wholly
unrepresentative!) to highlight some striking similarities in theme to the
B&S song. This may be a cheap gibe, but.. that's nearly as good as
expensive pathos:

Lord, Lord, Lord, Anthony B. is very polite,
But dem say dis boy too bright.
Remember we don't live in a communist country. Yuggo yo.

And on that note, we degenerate into sweet dreams,
Ant X
 ++++++  August 27th Sinister Third Birthday Red Underwear Day   ++++++