Sinister: isobel problem

dougal shaw dougalshaw at xxx.com
Thu Aug 31 01:12:32 BST 2000

*if my family tree went back to the dinosaurs I still wouldn't appreciate
Isobel Campbell*

That used to be my opinion of Isobell Campbell. But recently I've been
pondering my attitude to her presence in the B and S outfit and I have
realised that my attitude towards her has changed. At first, I thought when
she made her appearance on TBWTAS that she was a sort of intrusion. It was
fine when she appeared in 'guest capacity' in the duet parts with Stuart
(like RollerCoster ride) where her counterpoint harmonies added a haunting
quality to the songs - as long as she remained merely a guest on these
tracks. I just skipped her other songs because they were good in any other
context, but paled next to the sublimity of B and S material. But now I have
a problem. I have to confess that Waiting for the Moon to Rise is one of my
very favourite songs on the new album. It's made me realise that Isobel's
songs can be equally magical. So what was my problem before? I think it
might be (and this sounds weird to me as well) that one of the attractions
of B and S's older material (bearing in mind that I am a guy) is that it is
a man singing with tenderness, about tender things. It wouldn't be the same
if a girl was singing those lyrics. I don't know why that would make a
difference, but since the idea occurred to me, it probably reverberates some
inner truth.

 ++++++  August 27th Sinister Third Birthday Red Underwear Day   ++++++