Sinister: What would it take to wipe that smile off of your face?

Marty GGGGG martyg10 at xxx.com
Thu Aug 31 03:43:10 BST 2000

Big Al chirruped....
'And in The Beginning there was 'Rattlesnakes'. Now let's not beat about the
proverbial here, this was, still is and ever will be one of the single most
perfect incarnations of The Pop Record ever to have graced that strange,
contradictory decade known as the 1980s.And in
The Beginning there was 'Rattlesnakes'.
...and I have to agree with the sentiments. 'Rattlesnakes' was a classic pop
record, with intelligent, thought provoking, literate and slightly
smart-arsey lyrics. Sound familiar? The music was steeped in guitar oriented
Americana, country, bluesy, with strains of harmonica and accordion thrown
in for good measure. This was a consistent evocation of America as a
backdrop for Lloyd's dramas of Uni life and (imagined?) international
characters. For me, the overall vibe is as redolent of Glasgow as B&S music,
possibly something to do with Glasgow (and the Uni) being a melting pot /
crossroads for disparate peoples. Cole himself is English and hooked up with
Lawrence Donegan etc whilst studying at Glasgow QED classic, timeless pop
music.
I saw the video for 'Rattlesnakes' whilst waiting to watch 'Ghostbusters'
back in (fuck!) 1984 at the Odeon in Renfield Street and it was great, a
hand held shot out of a car window just panning along an American highway,
the perfect visual complement to virtually any of the songs off of the
album. The same trailer featured the vid to Bronski Beat's version of 'It
Ain't Necessarily So", yet another great pop song.

"Not the whole world, mate."
Eh?

And as for the cream buns 12m signing spree, I can only say 'knee jerk
reaction'. Teamwork and leadership won the game for the hoops, not 'world
class players' ** yawn **. These same qualities took a previous Celtic team
to dizzying heights, and you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about....

Finally, Sinsterines, for a laff, check out the following site. If you want
an idea of the type of people who make life hell for the twee kids in
Glasgow, make for the following site and check out the sound files.......
www.mucker.co.uk
Priceless!
Bona fide old school ecto hugs to everyone.
Marty.

 ++++++  August 27th Sinister Third Birthday Red Underwear Day   ++++++