Sinister: met you on a traffic island, we were there all day...

Robyn Fadden rfadden at xxx.com
Fri Dec 1 22:58:47 GMT 2000

hi!
do you ever for no reason at all answer the telephone by saying
simply 'hi' rather than the usual 'hello w/question mark'? it freaks
people out.

i'm feeling communicative. but also ambiguous. but the latter is
nothing new if new is the past few months (okay, years).

but also, despite the ambiguity, i am probably in love. and that is a
good thing, as is being loved. i have never been out for breakfast so
much in my life.

interesting thing about love is that it changes with different people
and won't be defined. i mean, that's what i've noticed, and now that
i understand that (as opposed to just shrug my shoulders at it), it's
become quite nice and not as anxiety-producing. mmm.

right, so i saw aisler's set last night with bratmobile! it was
*awesome*! *and* the aisler's set bassist was wearing a b&s orange
bus t-shirt! believe it cause it's true. i even bought a 7" and a
button (they were quite cheap. i don't think the band knew about the
sad state of the cdn dollar...) so everything about the aisler's set
is great. that is that. they rock and are all cute and somehow are
like wool sweaters that aren't so thick that you can't wear them year
round. necessity. but then, i spent quite a few months a while back
with 'the last match' in my walkman, so i have that bias... but screw
bias - they're good!

also in my walkman a lot was/is magnetic fields 'quickly made, gotta
have this for bus trip now' tape. not a carefully compiled tape at
all, just bits of albums. but that's okay with me and makes me happy.
so i am happy to hear of people discovering stephin merritt and
loving him in a flurry of capital letters and exclamation marks! now
it is time to go be a completist on the issue! really, it just
happens and there you are.

but aren't new things sometimes just the greatest:
my new stereo!!! oh, the joyful pain of pressing play on the cd
player and realizing, as my eyes filled with tears, how much *better*
everything sounded. like *everything*. the world. how could i have
lived for eight long years with a sanyo ghettoblaster? criminal
really. but though i was poor, i wasn't criminal, and i simply
tolerated the situation... maybe i just didn't care enough. sad. but
everything is beautiful now.

right, so i saw "requiem for a dream", the new film by darren
aronofsky (the "pi" guy). ooh, yeah. i couldn't shake it for a day
and a half, felt twitchy and afraid, unsure, wondered if i was
addicted to anything, etc. it's great. and great to look at too, with
superclose-ups and split screens and awesome sound and things.

there was an election here in canada. people won seats and things.

someone asked me yesterday the age-old question: 'if you were in a
tribute band, what band would you tribute?' (okay, i paraphrased that
and made tribute into a verb, but hey, it's good.) so i don't know, i
thought of a band i like that has been around for a while and said
'sonic youth?' and apparently that was not good enough for them b/c
it was not cheese enough. i don't understand that logic b/c i saw
(rather by accident really, no really) a neil young tribute band that
was not taking their business cheesily at all. they were very
serious. so anyway, now i'm all confused on the 'tribute band' vs
'cover band' issue. not that i'm losing any sleep over it.
definitions are so very overrated.

ah ha.
for a number of reasons i like this mountain goats' lyric:
"and the canterbury tales are gonna shoot up to the top of the
bestseller's list... and i will love you again, like i used to." it's
sad, but then i thought, hey, the c.tales is pretty raunchy material,
so it's possible, with a little editing, for it to maybe one day get
big like john grisham. or maybe grisham could rewrite it. oh. oh my.
god. sorry. anyway, so this song is both sad and happy. and i like
that. due to the whole thing i was talking about earlier. grey areas
and things.

plug me in plug me in,
yours,
robyn

=====
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC