Sinister: 13 flaming vicars

Sarah Garrett Sonner ssonner at xxx.com
Sun Dec 3 21:13:34 GMT 2000

Forgive me, Sinister.

This message contains some foul language. But mostly towards the end. I
really should have posted earlier, when I had a working scanner, and
could've joined the foxy ranks of D. Parker, D. Bowie, and J. Peel/D. Moore
on the photo pages. I should have posted when Steve C. wrote about girls
liking bad boys, because I don't go necessarily for the bad ones, but always
the inappropriate ones. Which is worse? Then again I'm probably more
inappropriate than anything. I should have posted when I was sad to read
that Mark C. signed himself fat and sad rather than the more optimistic big
and gay, and when I was happy that Laura Llew said that smutty thing she
said about butter and muffins. I should have posted when I came across a
defintion of Twee (c. 1850) as: to "be in a twee," to be overcome with fear
or vexation. Only I was just that.

I also should have posted when people were talking about Tom Baker, because
he wrote a book called "The Boy Who Kicked Pigs" and it rocks. As good as
"Creepy Susie" by Angus Oblong, and in the same category, though not
caliber, as Edward Gorey. Has anyone else read these? Pleasantly perverse.
T.B. even calls himself "the ultimate Dr Who" in the author's notes. The
illustrations have the best captions--as seen in my subject line.

Speaking of vicars, I realized today, while listening to a song that I don't
even have to name, that I only encounter vicars in a musical context. Other
than taking people to one side, giving them confirmation, and occasionally
sporting tutus I'm in the dark about what they really do. And rhyming with
vicar we have wicker, specifically wicker people, appearing in at least 2
songs that I can think of, and I have an even foggier idea of what that
means. Any enlightened person who can answer these queries may write to the
address above.

And now I'm going to talk about "fucking." What made me write now was
reading Whosit's rant at the enter.ie page. Gerunds can be tricky. Instead
of the context of the writer's (presumably derogatory) use of it as Belle
and (Fucking) Sebastian I read it instead as an enthusiastic word of
emphasis. Belle and Fucking Sebastian! Hell Yeah! Turn it up! Shout it from
rooftops and moving vehicles. Scrawl it on a bathroom wall. Now that would
be inappropriate AND bad. I've since been amusing myself far too much with
inserting "fucking" into song titles. The wrong fucking girl. There's too
much fucking love. Is it wicked not to fucking care? It makes everything
sound so badass. I also giggle too much when people say "effing."

I'd like to say something insightful about pop music, but maybe next time
that will happen. The only things I can think of now are odd bits, about how
David Gedge sort of looks like my landlord. And how there's a Gap ad with a
Badly Drawn Boy soundtrack. And how the other day I caught a bit of a
Britney Spears TV special, wherein her mic/backing tape kept cutting out
mid-song and all I thought was "hmm that seems almost poignant somehow."

Since July when I last wrote I got struck by lightning and got meningitis
and almost got chickenpox and have been exceedingly grumpy and profane. It's
all true. And I still fucking love Belle and Sebastian.
Apologetically yours,

xo Sarah