Sinister: Operator, operator, please hook me up to my lover at the end of the line

Julie jules at xxx.cx
Mon Dec 4 17:58:18 GMT 2000

A few things, since I'm supposed to be writing a paper and the best time to
write posts is when you have more important stuff to do.
1) Sinister is grate.  No really.  I whine a lot about the volume of crap
posts, but upon reflection I've realized that it's like, a squillion times
better than other mailing lists.  At least on Sinister we don't get the
<pasted half of last post> + four words of your own + 8 line sig line that
you would find on a list like, say, Stephinsongs.  Thank you Princess
Honey!!  Parkandride is also a nice list and it is moving into the missprint
family like an annoying stepchild, if you like those Camera Obscura people
or you like to hear Matt and Martin call each other names, I suggest you
join.
2) Some Jason guy said (after Christiaan quoted Butterfly):
>isn't that from that arcade game Dance Dance Revolution?  I wonder if there
>will ever be a belle and sebastian song in that game..........besides I
perfer Drum Mania =)
Oh no!  A Belle & Sebastian song on Dance Dance Revolution (or the European
equivalent "Dancing Stage" if you're not capable of comprehending two Dances
at once) would be the equivalent of Have You Never Been Mellow!  Like, 4
steps total in normal mode, 30 in Trick mode, and 846 in Maniac mode.  I can
picture the boys in Chinatown with baggy pants rocking out to String Bean
Jean, although I have to say that Jason is correct in saying that Electronic
Renaissance would probably be the most likely B&S song to grace the machine.
It's no Stomp To My Beat though.  Also, the fact that Jason likes Drum Mania
better clearly shows that he's on crack.  DDR is, has been, and always will
be the raddest game in the arcade.  It's even radder than Para Para
Paradise.
3) Carsmile Steve said:
>person 1 "which one's stevie jackson then?"
>person 2 "um, i'm not sure, he'll be there somewhere"
>me (stepping in to avoid any further embarrassment, sotto voce) "he's
>standing behind you, dear"
Which leads me to believe that Steve was NOT saving those anonymous people
from impending embarrassment (akin to the sort of embarrassment one would
encounter if one were in the presence of a band member and your mobile rang,
playing a jaunty little midi-like Family Tree.  This has been discussed
before.) but was rather IMPERSONATING A BELLE & SEBASTIAN MEMBER.  "Why, I'M
Stevie Jackson."  That's not nice, Steve, and you know it.  It's much nicer
to just pretend you KNOW Belle & Sebastian members, as so many people are
good at.  In fact, I'm beginning to think that if you live in Scotland, you
are automatically acquainted with the band either through stalking or the
chance encounter-in-the-next-bathroom-stall.  Wee Carey knows the band
through the latter, and I hear that a certain listee peed next to Stevie
Jackson last night.  Did he peek?  He won't tell.
4) England is nice.  That's why Marie Elia and I are going there on December
28th.  We're staying at the world famous Mell Street hotel. I hear several
other listees have made reservations there for New Year's Eve as well, so I
guess I'll be seeing you then.  My card reader told me I was going to have a
wonderful New Year's Eve.  I would have preferred some info with a little
more consequence, but hey, who am I to argue.
And that is all you have to put up with from me today.

xoxo
Julie