Sinister: on the flipside

marikka ettirgam at xxx.com
Tue Dec 5 06:17:08 GMT 2000

i feel rather pathetic here.  i am in california which
everyone assumes is so warm and yet i am freezing my
ass, but mainly my fingers.  and the news keeps
threatening that there's a huge energy shortage and
the electric companies might start having blackouts
tonight on purpose.  i don't really see the point, it
will just piss us off more.  first, we have to deal
with the horrendous fog that makes it impossible to
get to work in the morning, and then after managing to
make it through the day while being harrassed by old
men, we have to return home to the possibility that we
might not have power.  we might not be able to make
dinner.  as if anyone wants cold cereal when you're
shaking.  and now they are telling me that particular
northern california cities might make me sick.  oh,
the worries.  and this is what it took to get me out
of my hiding mode.  i won't say that i lurked, i hid.
i like hiding, there's a small bit of excitement with
it.  i was always intrigued that in hide-and-seek, the
best places to hide were always the ones that were
harder to get out of and therefore you always ended up
being "it," which wasn't at all exciting.  but lurking
seems so suspicious, and I don't really feel
suspicious today.

i suppose i could turn on the heater and try to warm
up, but what's the point when the only room that gets
warm is the bathroom.  if i wanted to spend my time in
there, my tv would be there.  i would have a stereo in
there at least.  definitely a phone.

or maybe that is the way to go, hide in the bathroom
so that i can be warm and not hear the bad news that
my hometown might kill me and that the town i am
living in now will.  next they will tell me that
fossil plants are out to get me and then i guess i
would have to hide in the bathroom and wait for the
guy from "ed" to save me.  and now i realize that i
have let out how american i actually am.  i don't try
to be.

but i will say this, most americans would never be
able to distinguish a canadian accent from an american
accent, unless it was a french canadian accent and
then they would still just think the person was from
the south.  and the election is fabulous.  i love
hearing the same thing in the morning, talking to
everyone they possibly can and saying the same thing.
i like lawyers less and less each day, not that i want
bush junior as president, of course the keg parties
would be fun.

and now, i have gloves on, but i'm saving energy,
right?  i guess a semi-formal intro is in order.
marikka...geologist, which means that i try to get
gasoline out of the soil, not oil out of the rock,
that's someone else...fresca drinker.  i would be
consuming scotch, but i like having a choice.  and
jack daniels isn't really my thing...i own red
furniture to counter the neutral requirements of the
apartment complex...and something related to b&s, what
can i say?  anything i try to say will not even
express how i really feel about them.  i just wish i
could find someone in the valley that loves them too.

but now i am getting myself depressed.  no one to
love, no one to share music with, and all i have is a
cold apartment in a town that will probably kill me.

marikka.