Sinister: to whom it may concern

Josh Baze JBaze at xxx.com
Tue Dec 5 15:59:20 GMT 2000

party people--

greetings, ...again.  it's been a while, a long while since i've poked around these premises.  not that i really expect to be remembered.  anyway...

important things to say to sinister listees following my abscence:

1.  BUY AUGIE MARCH RECORDS.  this cannot be over emphasized.  a truly remarkable four piece out of Australia.  They are the most remarkable band I've heard in a long, long time.  They just released their first full-length, Sunset Studies.  listening to "sunset studies" over the weekend was undeniably the most profound album-listening experience of my life.  i've just listened to my "sgt. peppers," "ziggy stardust," "the wall," "ok computer," etc, etc, etc.  i was, and remain, completely blown away by what this band has been able to accomplish.  augie march have, in 15 songs, if not ruined, seriously contaminated my enthusiasm for other contemporary pop bands that i harbor well publicized enthusiasm for.  those bands simply won't be the same after having heard this album.

i don't know how to describe it.  the melodies are brilliant, wonderfully constructed.  their beauty is remarkable, and simple, which belies the complicated instrumentations, timings, tunings, arrangements, etc. which make these songs and this album a monument to pop songwriting.  the harmonies are as unexpected, complex and perfect as anything brian wilson has ever done.  The vocals evoke a less jazz-improvizational, more sweet (if possible) Jeff Buckley.  These songs are among the most atmospheric I've ever heard.  Only Grant Lee Buffalo comes to mind  as a band as capable of creating an authentic emotional atmosphere that you don't so much believe in as you are transported into.  Everything about these songs is orignal and creative, but never simply for the sake of creativity.  Every unusual--totally original-- choice they have made has only added to the overall strength of THE SONG,  something unfortunately lacking in many contemporary pop groups.  In my opinion, Augie Mar!
ch have stepped absolutely into the foreground of pop songwriting, nearly if not completely peerless.  "Sunset Studies" is a remarkable acheivement.  So go buy it.  Anyone who can back me up on this, step to the mike.

2.  Didn't much care for "Fold Your Hands Child..."

3....but rediscovered Looper, especially "Dave the Moon Man."  Also rediscovered Bowie's "Scary Monsters," The The (all of it), early REM, and the Jam.  And never fell off my Gene, and Mason Jennings wagons.  His new album is stunning, find it and buy it second.

4.  Saw a bunch of crap movies and a couple of good ones, especially Dancer in the Dark.

5.  Got screwed out of fall.  I live in Kansas City, where fall is the most beautiful time of year.  It went from being 80 to 40.  I'm still pissed about it.

6.  SWM in search of good mixed tapes, possible relationship.  I'll be sure to return one, and offer my personal guarantee it will contain songs by Augie March, Grant Lee Buffalo, the Lucksmiths, The The, The Smiths, Moose, Hefner, Jeff Buckley and the late great Paul Robeson. Pop's my taste, i'd love to taste yours.  Interested, email me at jbaze at beap.com

7.  Anyone out there a fan of either Jim Daniels or Thomas Lux?

8.  Top Ten Things I Can't Stop Listening To Lately:
--Augie March, Sunset Studies
--PJ Harvey, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
--Gene, Rising For Sunset
--Hefner, We Love The City
--Bjork, Selmasongs
--Grant Lee Phillips, Ladies Love Oracle
--Mason Jennings, Birds Flying Away
--Augie March, Waltz e.p.
--Grant Lee Buffalo, Copperopolis
--The The, Nakedself

all these words, one scant mention of belle and sebastian.

Hope all is well, cyber-friends and strangers.  Be good.  Josh