Sinister: the western tradition from socrates to saussure

alix campbell lixibell at xxx.com
Wed Dec 6 15:16:13 GMT 2000

hello

i'm only writing because i had to queue for a good 10 minutes before i got
on the computer and now i want my tuition fees worth. a third of which,
incidentally i have had to pay. i rang up the council the other day to see
what the hell they were playing at. after 15 minutes of being put on some
weird kind of hold where this woman kept saying 'engaged, want to wait?', i
was put through. apparently my parents haven't been stamped, and the form
will be sent back to them.  i'm not entirely sure that my parents have the
right stamp either. anyway, i got off the phone, ran loudly upstairs so i
could slam a door, threw stuff everywhere (i have yet to locate where i
threw my pens, i am down to one biro) and swore liberally. then stopped.

ally reminded me of that mental bus driver. i'm telling you, she gave me the
fear. she argued with the elderly about their tickets! you can't argue with
the elderly, it's not on. there's following procedure and there's being
absurdly strict. she was not open to  pursuasion. i have always hoped that
should i be stranded i would be able to talk my way onto public transport
using some wiles that i must have stashed away somewhere. she dashed those
plans, for sure.

oxford  was very nice, if incredibly cold. when i lived there, it was warm,
i'm sure. even in winter. the high definitly wasn't some kind of picturesque
wind tunnel. my mum had brought a scarf out for me though. we went to the
pub, we being lucy, ally, steve, glampam and liz, and out of politeness and
a sense of masochism i invited my parents and brother along. there was a
lovely big fire in a metal bin type thing so we could sit outside, and eat
and drink and explain frottage to my dad. sorry liz. he's run out of drugs
apparently and refuses to buy any more due to the extortionate price. it's
no excuse, i know.

ken said:
>Again I hug all of you, you bunch of sweet pies. :)

which i misread as 'sweet piss'. is piss sweet? i've got a bloody awful
headache, i got up in the morning, which is a bad start to any day, then
actually went to my lectures. true i was an hour late to one of them, but
it's the thought that counts. not that i did much thinking.

Ozma said:
>Call me Ozma. My favorite Monopoly piece is the iron (i felt sorry for it)

it is a rather pitiful piece and indeed a rather wonderful aspect with which
to introduce oneself. i mean, not that anyone introduces themselves using an
iron, but the idea. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.  i mean, i know what i mean. argh.
linguistics is doing me nut in. meaning this, meaning that, i am tempted to
think that it's all meaningless.

brierliar said:
>Sorry to send you all into temporary phonetic confusion.......

it's permanent for me. i don't think i'll ever hear things the same way.
damn tertiarty education.

ah shit, i've been in here hours. it looks like rain, i need to go shopping.
yellow brick looks luminious. i think i am in a flight path here.
will write again in a few years time
lixi.x