Sinister: chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

Stephen Hewitt shewitt at xxx.uk
Thu Dec 7 14:21:34 GMT 2000

Edna Welthorpe, Mrs barked:

> D/ Dr Who
> Sarah Garret Sonner crashlanded into our list of top
> ten posters the other day. Among other things she
> mentioned how Tom Baker refers to himself as "the
> ultimate Dr Who", which is peculiar as we had the
> misfortune to hear Jon Pertwee’s Christmas single
> recently, and he also refers to himself as the
> ultimate Doctor. They can’t both be right. We
> personally side with Pertwee, not only for his
> dandyism, but also because his surname suggests he is
> both pert and twee, a combination we find
> irresistable.

Right, I've got a theory on this one, known as "the grange hill theory"
(bear with me on this).  Basically a person's favourite doctor depends
on when they were first scared witless by a dalek.  Edna Welthorpe, Mrs,
being an old trout (and not very tall, by the look of that e-mail),
prefers pertwee, although i'm surprised she didn't go for william
hartnoll to be honest, whereas us nubile 20-somethings are drawn towards
baker (or even davidson).  It's a bit like grange hill, my fave
characters were gonch and that lot cos they were the same age as me,
whereas our edna is almost certainly a tucker fan.

edna also mentioned pinefoxlegs, which can be found here, in all their
glory:

http://www.geocities.com/carsmilesteve/atpphotos/onbeach.jpg

Dearest Lucy talked about cd:uk, which sounded rather horrid, but i did
manage to almost take a picture of the back of her and ally96's heads,
which will be scanned at some point.

I went to strange fruit oxford last nite, which was nice, if not quite
as busy as strange fruit london.  I met some nice people, and then
semi-ruined it by describing the bloke who is the (if you will)
majordomo of the oxford music scene as a "bald fat miserable cnut" to
one of his underlings, oh dear...

Did anyone else notice that rosetta the cat sent her e-mail from a year
in the future?  Cats, you can't trust them, one second they're sat
fiddling with a piece of wool, the next they're fiddling with the
space/time continuum... which reminds me of another theory, but i think
we'll save that for another time.

xoxo
CarsmileSteve