Sinister: JetBoyStarGirlPunkSpaceBand

Greg Pallis gpallis at xxx.uk
Thu Dec 7 17:52:02 GMT 2000

This is gonna be shorter than the instrumental section of a melt banana
song, 'cos I posted, like, six posts ago, but I have internet access only
this hour in the next three days, my mum had a major schitz-out and stole my
keyboard, and now refuses to return it. So, yeah.
[Erotic Erica]
>Lots and lots of very true things, including...
>I thought Julie B was rather on-point there actually.
>She's not saying you can't enjoy it, she's saying don't try to
>understand it, don't pick it apart and poke at it.
>Most of my pop dreams were over by the end of Primary School - my friends
>all decided they liked Nivarana and Guns and Roses because their sweaty
>sisters did, so it was byebye TakeThat wristbands, Hello Skull Bandana.
But I'm actually totally agreeing with this here. I'm not disagreeing with
the sentiment, if it is indeed what you say it is and not "leave shiny,
fluffy music in the territory of teenagers" as in "Don't just not take it
apart but infact actively shun it". What I'm objecting to is the use of the
word "teenagers". The last chart pop band I liked before my D&C ephiphany
were Alisha's Attic, I must have been, what, 12? From there it was Pulp,
then B&S, then Mogwai and so on... I'd think it'd be the same for most
people here. How many people have never told their friends that
they hate Destiny's Child/The Spice Girls/Alisha's Attic/Whatever else
that's pop and fantastic and number one when they were 13-19? I bet even
BaxendTim did it at somepoint. By teenagers, Burchill means eight to
thirteen year olds, and that's what so offends me.
Also...
amihotornot.com totally changes your world view, doesn't it? Don't you find
yourself looking at all your friends, and trying to imagine how thousands of
horny 13-year-old boys would rate them out of ten? I do, and it's tragic, I
need some more attractive friends. Was it Steven Kado who said "something...
corridors... something... Me: 10, Chan Marshall from Cat Power: 9, everyone
else: -47624."? I will feel stupid if it wasn't. I had the most insane
conversation today with the girlfriend of one of my ugly mates, which went:
Her - What's that on your blazer?
Me - It's a Belle & Sebastian sew-on patch...
Her - Ah, right, Belle & Sebastian, cool... *Looks at my other badges* Oh my
god, Daphne and Celeste, that's SO COOL! Can I borrow that? Pwease?
Me - Naaah, but you can have this official D&C fanclub stick-on tattoo... *I
remove from bag, give to her*
Her - *Runs to bathroom, applies tattoo to cheek, returns* Yeah, I LOVE
Daphne & Celeste, I threw bottles at them at Reading! And my boyfriend's
tall, so he could actually hit them! It was SO COOL! They rocked!
Truth is indeed stanger than fiction. This is the only explanation for the
fact that my grandfather's just called me accross the house on the special
emergency chiming machine to tell me to go and check that my father
remembered to bring him a banana. I mean, surely he'd know? With all this
talk of family relations, this is becoming a Pauline L. Shivers post, hmmm,
where is she lately? And whatever happened to Andreas Johnson, whom I have
been repeatedly told I look like the nonexistant younger brother of? Or the
peccadiloes, whose 'Caught on Venus' album was quite good, in a kind of
Buzzcocks + Electro Squishy Noises way?
With these questions I depart.
   Go!
   Roku!