No subject

Arantxa Sanz pcxas at xxx.uk
Fri Dec 8 14:44:06 GMT 2000

How could I find a word if I already know its meaning? Or posing the
question in a different way, what is the name for a book which is the
complementary opposite to a dictionary? Does it exist at all?

This stuff came to my mind when trying to explain that I sometimes feel I
would like to live in certaing cities because the word designating its
inhabitants sounded particularly well.And I have the vague impression that
word in general is 'toponymic' ( rubbish speeling et al),but I am afraid
it could be something totally different and i would make a fool of myself
in this articulate list.

Going into the heart of the matter, Toronto is one of this
places.Torontonian sounds yeah, g-rrrr-e-a-t.So many t's,like a tarty
tarantula dancing a tarantela.Steven Kado's posts also contribute to this
impression that being a Torontonian is perpetual surreal partying.The same
night he was requiring some expert's advice on his essays or at least some
web page from where to copy these latter, I found this quote :

'She looked like a brilliantly catty novelist and reviewer with a PhD on
Wittgenstein, and yet not quite,because no such person would have had a
sking like that,a bosom like that,a dress like that.And not just not
quite: not at all, beucause nobody with the whole lot like that would have
dreamed of bothering with novels or Wittgenstein'.

Despite the gender issue,would he mind to be described 'like
that'?None of us will,I think.Though his picture on-board shows him closer
to Bill Murray in the scene of 'Charlie's Angels' where he is busy raking
into his gum seeking desperately that gagdet...umm.Steve,you could do much
better,sure.

Cryptic definitions of gamine :

a)Small girl submitted to famine
b)Hybrid inheriting the top of a gazelle and the tail of a feline.
c)Brutal discos in 1996-anything femenine with crop and Adidas Gazelle.

Crosswords have become a pilar of my existence in 2000.

I told a friend I was in fear of agreeing too much with Julie Burchill
lately and I have not heard from her since! The article that sprang this
terror was the one brought into open discussion by Juicy, who looks lovely
with her grown hair,I think.She (my Julie) is a bit alltogether confused
with which range of age is 'teen-age',true,but I could not help nodding
along to the core of her rants.It would give me personally the shivers to
be seen as the pathetic thirty-something,still young-looking mum in few
years time who believes she is cool because she recognizes which one is
Daphne and which one is Celeste to the embarrasment of her six year old
daughter.

No doubt that the shiny,fluffy flame of POP! is fed by burning
old grey brillo pads and whatever acrylic substance inside puffa
jackets discarded at the age of fourteen to start aspiring to
'alternative' = unavailable in NewLook. Perhaps the most rad-ikal wing of
the POP cult would support the idea of bathing Isobel Campbell in tar and
sacrifice her in the eternal pyre of discomusic-for-fun,in a dislocating
version of the spirit of Nation of Ulysses.Too many hours of
Sanrio-shopping creates monsters.

I typed 'Adrian Evans;baby' at the Sinister Search engine and all I got it
was messages from the salad days where his actual spree was not even in
the agenda...All I wanted to know it was what name he chose after Dylan
was snatched from his careful fathering hands from celebrity couple not to
be metioned. Every English person I encounter suffer a shock when I
declare my Victoriana tendencies in such area.Edna? Lovely choice,though
if I was Sinister-born again Cordelia or Marjorie would do.

And to end, Agent Pennington, you were so right about the no-endings.Why
nobody has dared so far to film a movie about the happy-no-endings of
succesful relationships? There are many more boring arguments.

A.