Sinister: Dissertation research - please don't shoot me!

Ruth A. Deller Ruth.A.Deller at xxx.uk
Sat Dec 9 16:13:27 GMT 2000

Hi

Some of you may remember that, a few months ago, I asked for volunteers from
the Sinister list to help with a research project I was doing.  Well, thank you
to all who participated, because it went well (if you want to know more, do
email me).  So I am expanding on that research for my dissertation, and hoping
to carry out a more detailed study of online fora used by pop fans.  I really
want to study Belle and Sebastian fans, so I thought I would write to tell you,
in case anyone had any objections.

My research will involve observation of what's going on in these fora, plus (at
a later date) sending out questionnaires to willing volunteers.  My aim is not
to slag anyone off, (After all, I am a music fan who regularly uses mailing
lists, chatrooms and such like), but to hopefully get an insight into fan
interaction online - part of which will be about comparing the different types
(chat, newsgroups, mailing lists etc) and comparing different groups.

No e-mail addresses will be printed in the study, and it is only a
dissertation, it's not going to be published or anything (though I could set up
a black market if the demand is high!).  If I wish to quote any of you at any
point, I will e-mail you privately to ask for permission.

Assuming people are OK with this, I'd like to look at the following Belle and
Sebastian related internet activities:
Sinister list
Jeepster chat
#sinister
Jeepster forums
alt.music.belle+sebastian
Fan websites (can you suggest the best ones, anyone?!?)

If anyone can think of any vital B&S internet fora I have missed or any B&S
sites I really should look at, please let me know!!
If you have any questions, doubts or if you want to be involved or find out
more, then e-mail me, and I will do my best to get back to you (you don't have
to volunteer to answer the questionnaire now, but if you do, that's great).

Thank you everyone

Rad xxxxx