Sinister: why does it always snow on me?

Ewan Dunbar dunbare at xxx.net
Tue Dec 12 01:59:10 GMT 2000

i can't believe how much there is now.
okay, so maybe it's not in 10-ft drifts, but it's really starting to get in
the way. oh well. i like it. i have a book on my desk that was my
grandfather's. it's a book of poems in welsh romani by john sampson, welsh
gypsy expert of old. i only bring it up because now every time i think of
the word snow, i think of a poem that's in there called "iv opré o them"
the translation of which starts "Lo! the snow!"
which is now what will pop into my head forevermore when i think of snow.
for better or for worse.

MUSIC THAT ISN'T B&S:
anyway, i've just got my hands on a copy of runrig's "play gaelic". my
mother bought it for herself because she likes one of the songs on one of
their newer albums (but the rest of that album is to neither my liking nor
hers). but this seems to be their first album -- i don't know, i'm no
expert on runrig, but that's the way it comes across from the cover and the
liner -- and it's rather nice. i don't know why she doesn't like it, but i
won't argue. she gave it to me. and most of the time when i get music from
people i take it suspiciously. but this is good. of course, i don't know
what any of the words mean, as it's entirely in gaelic. i've worked out a
few things though; one of the things that didn't take much working out is
that "an ros" means "a rose" (or maybe "the rose", i don't know), as that's
laid out for the reader in the liner notes. what really struck me, though,
is the eerie resemblance that song, "an ros", bears to a certain other
song. probably a coincidence. anyone with a copy of this should listen to
the opening of the song (not to mention the chord progression) until it
hits them. if it hasn't already. it really is uncanny for a coincidence,
but it's too uncanny to be anything else.
it is rather a good album.

A SORRY LAMENT:
i've been thinking about a girl in my physics class and how pale her blue
eyes are. and i know i better do something about this soon. tomorrow, i
keep telling myself. that's all i have to say about that.

B&S CONTENT:
as for b&s content, i know i had some. i KNOW i had some.. damn it.. well,
in case i never said so, the girl who had borrowed my copy of fishyclap
gave it back a while ago. which is interesting to me, but it's hardly news.
anyway, she has pretty good taste in music, and for a while there i had a
pretty solid crush on her. but she never really liked me. we've been not so
much friends as "people who interact from time to time if they happen to be
in the same room" since we met. she's a nice girl. there was some band she
told me about once, and i can't think what it was... but i never got the
chance to check them out. i dunno anything about them. their name was
"somethingorother and the royal jelly", but i don't remember what the
somethingorother was. perhaps someone knows. i doubt anyone will get this
far into the post, it really hasn't been too interesting so far. but if
anyone could help me out here, it would be much appreciated.

anyway, i suppose i will go look for the lyrics to these songs, with
translations. perhaps then i can more fairly evaluate this album. but as i
said it is very good.