Sinister: Less Chatter, More Music

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Mon Dec 18 00:31:47 GMT 2000

Hi All,

I see that the Future Pilot AKA release with Struan intoning in Sanskrit on
the B-side made single of the week in the NME. Well done.

For those of you who prefer to have something to look at whilst, er,
concentrating, on Beyond The Sunrise: I guess I wasn't specific enough about
how to see The Gents photos before. Sorry. Go to

	http://www.egroups.com/files/segundosdeluz/

where you will find two folders full of pictures. (You will also need to
sign in to eGroups & join the list.)

Staying with The Gents, I've been stumbling through that Spanish interview
with Isobel

	http://www.elfoco.com/El_Foco/Story_Page/1,2388,4_622_33567,00.html

& at the end she seems to say that she likes Derek & The Dominos. Whether
she's taking the piss or not, she deserves a "Well done" too. Lets hear it
for Duane Allman!

I would also like to echo James' request: did anyone record TGW on xfm the
other evening? If so, I too have B&S goodies to swap for a copy.

Last week's concert reports:

What Goes Up at Moriarty's (Tuesday, The Clientele)

Why do I like The Clientele so much? Perhaps its because they can play
really pretty tunes like Saturday or Lacewings yet also do the guitar thrash
thing on numbers like 100 Leaves Spiralling or I Had To Say This. Because
Alasdair's not afraid to play proper lead guitar and the rhythm section is
great too: the drummer achieving a lot by playing little, & superb melodic
bass lines like on Fear Of Falling.

Anyway they were great again & it was an equal pleasure to see Mr Hopkins
grooving with a beatific smile on his face.

Soul Dieppoise (Friday, The Pines)

All the rage & tension of the week at work & the vexatious Friday evening
drive into town evaporated immediately upon stepping into The Bull & Gate to
The Pines' opening number. Pretty tunes again, perfectly sung by Pam (& Joe)
to enthusiastic accompaniment, the stage all sparkly with tinsel up mike
stands & wound around the drum kit, sleigh bells, balloons in the air, Pam
tossing Christmas crackers & party poppers into the audience. Magic.

At one point Joe mislaid his capo & a replacement had to be sought, a
magnificent one being lent him eventually. He said it was so great his
strings felt they were being caressed. A Capo di Capi joke hovered over his
head for a full minute but was not taken advantage of.

The Christmas theme was reinforced by Fortuna Pop!'s mince pies. (Their 8
track Christmas ep featuring The Pines, The Aislers Set, Saloon (er, "Belle
and Sebastian played by a cryogenically frozen Stereolab"), etc. is still
available for a mere 4 squid I believe.)

Other bands played after The Pines but in the true Sinister Camber Sands
spirit we acquired a table in the pub & stuck to it. We being Pam, Joe,
SteadyMike, Stevie Troussé, Mr (it was his birthday), Sezah, Sally, Lixi,
Starry & Carsmile (apologies to anyone I missed)

Hmmm. Could nearly have held a Droolz reunion gig.

There was an almost picnic too what with the paper hats, mince pies, mint
chocolates & the turrón (gracias Maria!), the latter providing a welcome
Christmas taste from home for Lupe. Later the young folks danced. Great fun,
one personal high point being reached when Stevie sat on my lap.

Its too late now to try & remember any more, so I'll go.

Awaiting Poxendale reports from Carsmile, Sally, Erica, Big Stu, GlamPam,
etc.

Love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK