Sinister: for mike W and tweebunny (and everybody else)

chris perriman room_30 at xxx.com
Tue Dec 19 01:13:29 GMT 2000

for mike (and anybody who wants to read this i suppose)

the gig was in the church of john the baptist on the corner of grainger
street and westgate road, next door(ish) to yates's wine lodge and the pub
was the head of steam, over the road from the station.
the gig on the 28th is at the cluny (opened last year, under the byker
bridge and right on the ouseburn,  it's a renovated warehouse which is now a
venue/bar/cafe/gallery/studio complex and is quite cool)  they hold a night
called cluny tunes and mos eisley are playing along with sonus and comatose,
they are quite a cool band who sound like a cross between supergrass and ash
and the rhythm section, jack and jed, are the sons of lindisfarne drummer
ray laidlaw. i met them by interviewing them for my short lived internet
fanzine venture thing called the hieroglyphic, the interview and a live
review are on the internet still i think but i haven't got them anymore coz
a virus wiped my hard drive a few months back.  i think mos eisley played
upstairs at the highbury garage a couple of months back but i'm not that
sure, might have been another mos eilsey as the ad in the nme said you
should come along, i'll be handing out flyers for my own gig at the tut n'
shive on the 4th of january if you're still home but since it's a
whistlestop tour you probably won't, oh well.
anyone's welcome to come (he said blatantly mis-using the list to advertise
his own band)
my band's called lola my aura and i'll be dj'ing between bands (also playing
are toaster)

for tweebunny

as newcastle has been voted the 8th best night out in the world you've come
to the right place but as glasgow was 6th i think , then maybe you'r taking
a step down.

for gigs:   since the closure of the riverside and the mayfair in the last
couple of years, the only place left in town (or toon) for touring bands is
the arena (for robbie williams and dteps and their ilk) or the uni for more
'our' sort of band, the uni is the hottest, sweatiest basement in the world
but it's worth it to see bands the size of primal scream on a tiny stage
and within spitting distance. for local bands there are multifarious (what a
nice word) pubs around and especially the aforementioned cluny

for clubs:   the two best indie nights around are stone love @ foundation on
thursdays and bulletproof @ rockshots on fridays.  both have local superstar
dj big niall (think 250 pounds, bald, zztop beard and crutches) but both
have regular 'names' like mani, clint boon, gilles peterson, brendan lynch
et al playing. and durham has a pretty cool mod night that happens once a
month i think.

for pubs:   basically walk down any street and you'll find one worth
mentioning so i won't mention any.  except bar oz coz it's got a circular
pool table

sorry if anybody has read this and thinks they could have spent the time
better by excavating their nostrils but i think everybody should visit
newcastle at least once in their lives coz it's just so fab and groovy

so i'll end on a song

in the deep mid winter
frosty winds made moan
earth stood hard as iron
water like a stone
snow had fallen
snow on snow
sno-ow o-on snow
in the deep mid winter
lo-o-ong ago

i love that song but frozen water and snow, in israel? even at this time of
year i expect it's moderatly mild.

see y'all soon
pez*

ps      why won't it snow? it's fricking freezing but no damn snow, it's not
fair.

pps     i've looked for my website but it seems to have disapeared into thin
air, maybe i didn't feed it or something, maybe i should start it up again,
i still have a paper copy of it so it's just a case of retyping it.
oh mike, if you want a copy of the review and interview with mos eisley send
me an email and i'll get them to you somehow, ok?