Sinister: Christmas is the sinister season

Will Salt wpsalt at xxx.com
Thu Dec 21 23:18:29 GMT 2000

Hello, people.  Press "Del" now if you want to.  This post doesn't have
anything useful in it.

Strange how some things always come together in big packages of sensation,
feeling and smell.  Christmas, especially.  For me, Christmas is never the
smell of pine needles, it's the smell of the plastic christmas tree which my
family has had for twenty years.  The smell always fills up the house by the
day after it has been erected.

Now, IYFS is also a christmassy thing.  Four years ago, I bought a copy of
IFYS because all the reviews of it were *grate*.  I didn't have a CD player
at the time, so a couple  of weeks later, when I went to visit the parents
for Christmas I took it with me.  I know there was all that discussion about
"well, it's the least-best B+S record", but I still think it's wonderful and
a little bit seasonal.

I am recovering at my parents' house from the horrible stress that is
Christmas shopping.  It's far too much work.  Admittedly, I am an
incompetant misfit who never manages to look after himself properly, but
Christmas is worse than normal.  I did manage to get my Sinister-Presents
bought and shipped, but they will never get there on time.  If you are meant
to be receiving a present from me (although, of course you don't know who
you are) then I apologise in advance.  The second I sent said presents, I
started panicking that you won't like them, or you'll take what I wrote the
wrong way, so I'm apologising in advance for that as well.

As usual, earlier today I had *loads* to say, and now I've forgotten it all.
Hmmmmmm.  I also had *loads* to say yesterday, but I felt dead depressed
yesterday and so I didn't send any of it.  I didn't clean my flat for a
week, had an unexpected visit from the landlord (who accidentally made the
cat sit outside all day) and am now scared I'll be evicted, especially as
the landlord hasn't previously seen the large holes the cat has made in the
wallpaper.  I'll stop talking about that, because I'll get depressed again.
Anyway, it's off-topic.

Good things about visiting parents: digital TV, which means I get to watch
the Powerpuff Girls.  Bad things: having to live in Grimsby.  If anyone else
on Sinister lives in Grimsby, *do* let me know, because I would like to be
reassured that it isn't *entirely* an island of Hard Kids listening to
euro-dance in cheap nightclubs before glassing each other on Cleethorpes
seafront. Ahhh ... home.

I *really* have run out of things to say now.  I'll stop before I end of
rambling about sheep.  Baaaa.

Taraa, folks.  Merry Christmas
--
Will "gneiss" Salt