Sinister: The neoclassical lust of Chapel Lines

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Fri Dec 22 14:55:38 GMT 2000

What's going on?

First Maria Sierra reports that:

> Steve Trousers was very kind too

Then Jo Reynolds carries on:

> and the wonderful Mr Trousers [so far my very favorite
> list member... Who I would like to thank for the drink's, even
> if he did somehow manage to mistake me asking for Lemonade
> as Bacardi and Cola! ;)]

What on earth is he up to now?  Watch out girls, he'll chew you up!  Stephen may
be outwardly alluring, but underneath he is a ruttish swine, somewhere between
Nigel Havers in 'The Charmer' and Ian Beale in Eastenders' New Year's Eve
special last year.

> Mr Pinefox is actually a fox but he doesn't have a tale!

Oh but he does.  Hundreds of them.  Many of them draw on his singular vision of
pop history and involve postmodern tricks.  I must ask the man on the Clapham
omnibus what he thinks of them.  And then I'll ask my wife or servant.

Bus freaks should read Bill Drummond's '45'.  He does a bit of a Murdochesque
geekwank fantasy over them at one point.  It's a good book, actually, although
the returns on reading investment are diminishing  slightly as I near the later
chapters.  I feel very lucky to have had a friend who actually wanted it for her
birthday, so I could buy it and borrow it back.

I know picking on poorly written and informed reviews of bands is a bit of a
sport for men too lazy to play ping pong, especially if English is not the
author's first language, but have a look at this!  It's a gas:

http://www.slip.net/~scaruffi/vol6/belleseb.html

The review of 'Fold Your Hands Child' is the crowning achievement, I think.  But
the obsession with bizarre track-by-track comparisons in the 'Tigermilk' one is
great too.  It almost seems to be parodying the rock review process itself.  I'm
sure Stephin Merrit will be thrilled to learn that Belle & Sebastian are
considered to be 'a slightly more erudite version of Magnetic Fields'.

Can I just say how much I love the version of 'O Come O Come Emmanuel'.  I've
only just heard it and I think it's magical.  You can tell it's coming from
people who understand the church, like Genevieve's Papa.  A good sign is the way
they have an odd house style on the pronounciation of 'Israel'.  Our
choirmistress used to do similar things with 'angels' (ain-gells) in 'O Come All
Ye Faithful'.  Talking of 'O Come All Ye Faithful', have Cosmo used that on
their Christmas cover again this year?  I do hope so.

Louise Davies, are you still reading this?  I think I saw you in the lift this
morning.  I caused a commotion.

Nick x