Sinister: Tom Waits for Colin.

James james at xxx.uk
Sun Dec 24 00:15:34 GMT 2000

> ok.  i'm interested in getting some tom waits sutff, be he
> has so many
> albums, and i have absolutely no idea where to start.  does
> anyone have
> any recommendations?

Get "Blue Valentines" and "Nighthawks At The Diner". The first has a
scarily low cover of "Somewhere" from West Side Story and the second
is a live LP recorded a few years before "Blue Valentines". Waits does
these surreal introductions to most of the songs, talking about ham
and carrots and the dish running away with the spoon. And fog, that
sort of stuff.

Also, make these part of your post-Christmas non-b&s buying sprees:
"Harvest" by Neil Young, Bob Dylan's soundtrack to "Pat Garrett &
Billy The Kid" and PJ Harvey's new one (I forget what it's called).

Unreal Tournament: not only is it the best computer game ever, but it
is totally the opposite of Belle & Sebastian. Futuristic, thrashy,
violent and hi-tech. How come I like both is beyond me.

I take it that's enough content. C'mon, it is Christmas.

--
James (james at chachacha.co.uk)
http://www.chachacha.co.uk