Sinister: There's no absolutes in life; only in Lloyd Cole

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Mon Dec 25 21:22:12 GMT 2000

the wind is blowing. the streets are silent. And yet.

Laura Llew cheered folks up by saying things like

>>> I realize y'all expect me to be in Whoville

But surely, Llaura, only Peter Miller lives in
Whoville.

>>> Every year I ask for a boy for the holidays
and every year I'm bitterly disappointed when there's
no one waiting for me under the tree.

It's a shame. Maybe you should ask the boy for a
holiday, or ask for a holiday for the boys, or ask the
holidays for a boy?

On.

The air is enough to crack one's cheeks.

Fireworks explode somewhere. The other night I
thought, absurdly, that fireworks were going off to
mark the onset of Christmas Eve. Yet it was 23
December, 23:45. The notion was silly.

The point really in hand, or at issue - a back issue
of Melody Maker, I think, from February 1990; Mrs
Welthorpe knows what I mean - is something else that
the geezer Miller would understand. It's this. Lloyd
Cole has just released his greatest LP since 'X'.
That's what it sounds like so far. But I've been wrong
before, as far as I know. It might just be the best
since Love Story. At this stage we don't know.

No, there are no absolutes even in Lloyd Ccole, for
some of his material has been underpar. I read
somewhere that Bad Vibes contained 'bad disco'! (I'm
not sure, if truth be told, that it contains disco.)
But the one absolute is that at the end of it all,
Lloyd will be singing like Lloyd, and cruising, and
taking it easy, with someone chiming in the
background, and he'll sound better than anything has
for at least 20 minutes. And probably more. A deal
more, as Barry Davies might put it.

It's a Marshmallow World, the world of Lloyd Cole.

The night is silent.

Goodbye.