Sinister: questions and answers

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Wed Dec 27 21:40:40 GMT 2000

right,

merry christmas. GHope it was nice for everyone, or not actually traumatic.
For some reason I always feel a little depressed on Christmas day. It was
quite a strange day ... I went to a midnight church service on Christmas eve
(highly recommended, even if you're not "that way inclined", so to speak)
and halfway through "O Come O Come Emmanuel" I realised I was singing in a
very affected, Stuart Murdoch-esque voice. Which was quite funny ...
esentially inging a B&S song in church.

I woke up the next morning depressingly early (summer here, light at 5:30am
etc) and watched "The Filth and the Fury" on video while my parents were at
their scary, vaguely fundamental church service (as opposed to my vaguely
limp wristed, bleeding heart church full of academics and artists). Then I
went to Vanessa's (girlfriend) for Christmas lunch, and was a little
embarassed by the fact that most of her family bought me presents, and I
only bought her a present, and no one else. opps ..... I got a set of
Indianna Jones videos (surely the best series ever) and some music/book
vouchers. I managed to kinda out do her ... by buying her a boxed set of
*TEN* Alfred Hitchcock videos.

No self interest there of course ......

Apart from the fact I hadn't seen most of the videos in the set, and really
wanted to ....

hmmm.

Yesterday I got *seven* CDs, which was prety cool. In the mail, from
Amazon.co.uk came "Suburban Light" by The Clientele (more on that later),
and the Peel Session albums by Joy Division and New Order. I then went out
and bought "John Wesley Harding" and "Nashville Skyline" by Bob Dylan, along
with "Mental Notes" by Split Enz, which was recently namedas "the best New
Zealand album ever made". I kinda figure I needed to own it, being a huge
local music fan, and hell, it was only $10 (about US$4.00) which is a
riciculously cheap price to pay for a CD. And then I bought the Badly Drawn
Boy album a few hours later because it was on special.

Right ... back to ...

*** THE CLIENTELE ***
The album sounds great .... really lovely, and not nealry like B&S, apart
from the fact they are quite mellow and laid back and summery etc. Anyway
... is it actually their debut album, or just all their singles etc? Anyone
care to fill me in a bit more about them ... I didn't really know anything,
and just bought the album because a few people on the list had mentioned
them.

And also ....

*** AMELIA FLETCHER ***
she who does the sublime backing vocals on "We Love The City" by Hefner. I
seem to recall someone saying she is/was was in a band/bands called
"Tallulah Gosh" and/or "Marine Research" .... or something. Can anyone
*please* tell me more about her, what is available, what I need to own etc.,
because I am besotted .......

Anyway, I'd better go.

Have a great new year everyone ......

Lawrence Mikkelsen