Sinister: sigh...followed by lots of complaining

Denise Power dee at xxx.ie
Tue Feb 1 17:48:23 GMT 2000

oh hello there young list,

I've had the worst day. Without going into detail, because I can't , I'm
not legally bound to (yes, to those of you who know - that little discreet
matter of mine has hit the academic coucil , I know I know, I brought
about my own downfall, shut up okay)
- sheesh, anyway, this little legal fracas of mine is going to affect just
1/3 of my MA mark, and it won't be entirely discredited like I thought but
still, the shame and humiliation that I had to endure was not worth it.
I have a greek test coming up and asked my teacher for some help, because
I am too terrifed of the swots (its not as much fun as it looks being the
class clown/rebel/sitter-down-the-backer) and in front of the cameras he
said, yes certainly and then ten minutes later (the agreed time for
consultation) he said fuck off. Well obviously he put it subtley but I
felt like crying and teenagely (its a word) saying, "Okay (sob) it doesn't
matter. So I whinged to various people and got lost in the maths -physics
dept - very scary place, never even knew it existed, and met up with my
friends, quite by accident.
now it gets complicated.
Last summer, a friend of mine kissed my ex boyfriend which I thought was a
terribly immoral thing to do and we fell out and never spoke again.
Last weekend she claims I totally blanked her on the street.
Strangely at the exact same time, I was walking through a different part
of town and saaw a girl who looked quite like her but not enough to scowl
at. Now I'm in trouble for blanking her even though I didn't. My lookalike
did, and I'm renowned for having lookalikes. Everyone I meet for the first
time says, oh I'm sure I met you before. I used to lie and say, welll you
know the never forget video by take that, I'm the girl sitting in the
field with her friends leaning backwards with war paint on her face. They
always make a half smile then and go, well I think its from something
else, eh did you used to go to the grove ? and I said yes and then we
consent that we probably kissed in our youth but anyway...huge digression
from being a misery guts; back to being a misery guts.
Now I've been kissing my friend;s brother because well it started as a
move on his part to shut me up one night and turned into festive high
jinks and then became a slightly regular feature except it was totally
illegal because my friend really disappproved , claiming it was for my own
good but it wasn't it was just selfishness. Well I exerted a little bit of
selfishness myself because on his last night (he has moved 30,000 miles
away for two years - yes I know the effect I have on them) I hogged him
all to myself.
Apparently his family got very upset by his disappearance trick and are
very upset and angry with me. This anger and upset is being channelled
through one member of the family who decides to vent huge frustrations my
way and generally say hurtful stuff. Even though I know I was wrong too.
Other friends think I should just apologise to her and in a way that
would be very easy but at the same time, were I more argumentative a
person I would fight along these lines, if she didn;t object so much to
the whole me and her brother fling in the first place, we wouldn't have
had to go underground and I woudln't have had any reason to hog him.

I'm also in trouble with another friend who had a bad fall and a knock on
the head the previous weekend which resulted in a trip to hospital which
she neglected to tell her family about, which I thought was my duty as
head blabber to do so now I am in deep trouble for that too.

And my last single friend has tied the knot and has crossed that very
annoying threshold of being in love and putting the boyfriend first.

And I'm in work on my  own tonight.

At least my hat and gloves and scarf match. They are a very becoming shade
of dark blue which "brings out the colour of my eyes" apparently.

You passsed with honours if you read down this far.
if you can answer this question , you get a first :
what is the friends brothers name ?
answers on a postcard please.