Sinister: Croissant Neuf

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 2 15:59:11 GMT 2000

Sir

Here is a data-posy we garnered recently from the information bicycle lane:

"Shane Meadows, Nottingham's answer to Jean Renoir, is apparently making a
half-hour television programme called "The Stars of Track and Field", based
on the well-known song of the same name."

We haven't been so excited since we saw "Slade in Flame".

While we are talking cinema, may we join Nick Dastoor in recommending
Michael Winterbottom's "Wonderland"? The finest film we have seen in many
years, and one of the few occasions a Michael Nyman score has seemed like a
good idea. (The other is "Drowning by Numbers") In fact, we stayed right to
the end of the credits, caught in that artistic equivalent of jet-lag when
you don't want the spell to fade, and noticed the curious dedication:
"thanks to Stuart Murdoch". Hmmmm.

Why does nobody talk about the Montgolfier Brothers on this list? Their cd
on Vespertine Records is simply splendid. Indeed, they've got Alan Magoo so
excited he called them "the new Felt" whilst trying to talk up his
P!O!P!tones venture.

This morning a new anthology arrived with a thump on our desk. Within it
are a selection of aphorisms by the Scottish poet Don Paterson. For some
reason, this reminded me of Sinister:

"There are men and women who, upon every occasion one meets them, talk so
seamlessly of themselves one wonders how they managed to listen long enough
to have acquired the power of speech in the first place."

That is all.

ST