Sinister: Re: Fiona's post & me being more pseudo-literary than LC (not that I think he is)

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Mon Feb 7 00:19:07 GMT 2000

Lieber Sinister,

So I gather from Fiona's post (which I just accidentally deleted) that
'twee fucker' is something of an oxymoron.  I don't think the content of
the list is pornographic a-tall, and I'm not suggesting that it should be
more so, cos there's really no point in it unless you're vaguely flirting,
and flirting indiscriminately is no good.  Anything other than the
mention of the exact perception or its objective correlative (to borrow a
term from Eliot) is peripheral.  I guess it can't be helped that
people want to tell 3rd parties about their feelings - indulgence
towards lovers and all that.  And could it be that by some circuitous
route that is the source of pornography?   Which is why films
like 'Boogie Nights' are funny and sad. Sometimes I wonder about the
truth of these lines in a song by Love: "you know that I could be in love
with almost everyone/I think people are the greatest fun". Striking beauty
becomes more ordinary with familiarity, but then I hold my breath when
people I've taken for granted catch the light.  I'm glad that this is so
cos I wouldn't want to be in awe of someone forever.  My German instructor
is very very pretty.  She was sick most of last last week and when she
came back, she seemed more human.

I'm puzzled by what Stuart thinks it is to be twee (if such a thing
exists; more often it seems that people are after an idea of something
that's not real).  It's like innocence: after you're aware that such a
thing exists, it's gone.  So it's not authentic, and the lack of
authenticity seems to be what it means more than anything else.  But what
Stuart wrote seems like a rejection of his former self: I mean reducing it
all to knitting in pubs.  Why not say that once he was that fragile!

Has anyone seen the Belle & Sebastian lyric/reference page?
http://www.fineran.demon.co.uk/basrefs/
It's really great.  The source of one of my favorite lyrics could be a Hal
Hartley film: "A family's like a loaded gun ..." It's not an exact quote
from the film; there's enough originality on all sides, to the credit of
Hal Hartley, Stuart, and the person who noticed it.

Yours,
Youn