Sinister: Kissing Mister Quimper

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Mon Feb 7 20:24:59 GMT 2000

  Hello Sinister Siblings!  A bit of B&S buisness first and then the useless
stuff. Having listened to the Black Sessions and some other Live stuff I'm
even more impressed than ever with the group. The live stuff sounds
*perfect*, not a small achievment as I'm usually disappointed in most bands
upon seeing them live. *sigh* Now if I could only see them live instead of
just hearing them.
    Century of Fakers and Sleep the Clock around from the Black Sessions are
amazing versions, I almost can't listen to the CD versions of those songs
anymore. The mid-song piano rif in Sleep the Clock Around from the Black
Sessions gets me every time. Of course, I was able to hear Paper Boat for
the first time.
    Would anyone happened to have Paperboat tabbed or chorded out? It's not
up at the Sinister chord page. I can usually do a half-decent job of
chording a song out but I'd trust somelse's version better.
    Lotsa bootleg stuff on ebay I notice, the last Black Sessions video I
saw on there was going for well over $100, which strikes me as excessive no
matter how much you like the band.
    Missed the SNL B&S interlude, who knew SNL was worth watching anymore?
    Listened to The Magnetic Fields Wayward Bus and Distant Plastic Trees
for the first time yesterday and now I'm hooked and I've fallen in love with
Susan Anway's voice. Most of you listees are prolly already familiar with
The Magnetic Fields, if you're not than march right out and pick up the
Wayward Bus/Distant Plastic Trees album. It's brilliant and I kick myself
for not knowing about them prior to this. Oh, I've got the 69 Love Songs
collection, but this is far, far better.
    Also heard a song by the Lucksmiths and am now busy hunting down CD's by
them, if you like B&S then give them a try.
    I was looking through a friend's copy of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and
discovered he has the American version while I have the British trade
paperback version. The funny thing being that the publisher 'americanized'
the accents and references in the NA version of the book. Which cracks me up
to no end. I mean, do British publishers fiddle with American works so you
Brits can understand our slang and funny accents? Anyways, onward and
downward...

    Joseph had this to say:

"We sat around, expounding on the brilliance of Frank Miller and carrying on
about whether or not "Watchmen" was REALLY better than "Dark Knight
Returns".  We're such nerds."

    Watchmen of course, though V for Vendetta dances widdershins around both
of them and Authority and Planetary piss on all of them from a great height
while the Invisibles look on. This is the Sinister list dear boy, we're all
twee nerds, didn't you read your contract? (well, except Mark. Billionaires
can't be nerds, they're absolved of that the lucky bastards)

Oh, and props to Rachel for writing a very true and very sad post.

Your recommended reading: Riverrun Trilogy by S.P. Somtow
In the CD player on repeat: Magnetic Fields-Wayward Bus/Distant Plastic
Trees

Be Sinister children...

Jim

"We're all out there somewhere, waiting to happen"-Jeff Noon, "Vurt"